Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding Map Level of details

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulettaa

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2018
DE
Dear All

I want to know what welds are to be included in welding maps. Is it true that all pressure parts welds shall be included and others are not necessary?
For the following welds can we say none of them are required to be included in the welding map:
1-Wear plates to shell in a horizontal pressure vessel.
2-skirt to basering or skirt to bottom head in a vertical vessel.
3-trunnion to shell
There are many other welds for internal or external attachments that I do not know if they are necessary to be included or not?
And on the whole I want to see if there is a standard regarding this issue or if each company has its own policy.

Warm Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Paulettaa,
This is just a brief answer - others who deal exclusively with pressure vessels may give you more details.
Any weld that connects an item to the shell (all three that you have noted) must be included on the weld map.
Regards,
Shane

Any weld that people need to know about, for purposes including estimating, planning, QC, NDE, etc.
Basically every weld.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

You can build an ASME vessel without a weld map at all, or you can go all the way to having 100% of all permenant and temporary welds on a weld map. You need to know what you are going to use the weld map for before you can decide what welds need to be on it.

Thank you all for your replies.

Our client has asked us to include joint efficiencies for all welds in the weld maps. However, there are some welds that I do not know what joint efficiency is to be assigned to them.
From Table UW-12 I can see he following note:

ASME BPVC 2015 VIII-1 Table UW-12 note (5) said:
(5) There is no joint efficiency E in the design equations of this Division for Category C and D corner joints. When needed, a value of E not greater than 1.00 may be used.

1- the weld of skirt to the bottom head
skirt_to_head_idetdw.jpg

2- the reinforcement pad for nozzles. It looks like a category D but I am not sure if a joint efficiency can be assigned to that since it is not a butt weld.
3- many other welds like for example skirt to base plate, sleeves in skirt, lifting attachments,...
Many of these weld do not have a formula in VIII-1 including a joint efficiency but for the design of their welds I have to assign some efficiency to them. Is it the joint efficiency to be reported or do I have to say joint efficiency is not applicable for the attachment.

Warm Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back