Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding on radius of T-joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

vcebrad

Mechanical
Jun 7, 2004
US
1) What kind of joint would you call this? I've tried to "diagram" the joint below (I wish this forum would allow users to make attachments to messages). Member one is a straight wall on the left. Member two is a sheetmetal component bent at 90deg with a corresponding radius (shown on right). Questions are related to MIG welding the left memeber to the right member along the radius shown.
2) I know welding this type of joint is difficult. Any pointers? Literature or references? Links? Do's/dont's?

|
| ooooooooo
| o
| o
|o
|o
|
|

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tough to read your "diagram". It would appear to be a flare bevel groove weld joint. Having identified the weld joint, try an internet search.

Are you looking to seal the joint from the radiused side? Is strength an issue? What's the thickness of the straight member? What processes are at your disposal? What are the material types? What's the approximate distance between the straight member and the inside of the radiused member, ie: how much gap is there?

Metengr, thanks, I searched on that joint name and that's definitely it.

Weldtek, I've tried to ascii diagram the thing below (again)with an X on where the weld would go. Strength is an issue. In some cases, both members are 12 gauge (down to .0966" thick), in some cases 10 gauge (down to .1265" thick). Both are stamped, fixtured, robotically MIG welded, then painted. No pre or post heat. Material will probably be ASTM A1011-02 CS Type-A. Inside raidius of curved member is 0.157".

|
| ooooooooo
|XXXo
|Xo
|o
|o
|
|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back