Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding Procedure Qualification to B31.1 Process Piping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest102023

Materials
Feb 11, 2010
CA
I'm performing several routine WPQs to Sections IX, VIII-1 and B31.3, and I'm running into problems with B31.3 (where I have not spent that much time over my career). Charpy impact testing will be performed. B31.3 seems overall pretty sketchy on requirements for welding procedure qualifications, but the specific problem I am having is this:

Table 323.2.2 Note (2) references Table 323.2.1. Unfortunately Table 323.2.1 is nowhere to be seen, in both the 2006 and 2016 editions.
Is there some trick here? I can't believe the Code committee would have repeatedly missed something so obvious.

"If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to repair it?"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my 2018 edition, Note 2 references Table 323.3.1 which is on page 55 - can't miss it.

----------------------------------
Not making a decision is a decision in itself

Table 323.3.1 - Page 55 - 2016 Edition.
Good thing to ask yourself when you see a mistake like this, or on the shop floor is....."what am I missing?"
Stopped myself from looking foolish on more than one occasion asking myself this.

So it is a typo? The difference is between Table 323.2.1 and Table 323.3.1.
I cut and pasted the reference within the pdf document, so something is still wrong.

"If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to repair it?"

I notice I wrote B31.1 in the title, that was incorrect and it should be B31.3.
Pot, kettle, black.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back