Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding Requirments for 2"Hydraulic pipe in Ontario 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oildude

Mechanical
Jul 10, 2003
CA
Hi, Could someone please point me in the right direction...

I have some 2" Sch 160 hydraulic pipe (B/X42 s-tested)that I need to weld a new T onto.

Q- I know I should have a pressure ticketed welder...but do I have to? (our welder had a ticket....but is not current)
Q2- What codes would govern a repair like this?

It is a Hydraulic system used in our energy system....BUT it is exempt from the Ontario Boiler and Pressure vessel Act. (Boiler branch confimed this, and they were of little help)

Thanks
Jeff

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your governing body would be the Ontario Boiler Branch. Weld procedures should be registered and sent to the lab for destructive testing. In principle, your welder would complete a piece by the welding procedure to a coupon representative of the piece, then that would undergo a mirid of testing: physical, chemical, bending (transverse and longitudinal to the weld), etc. Of greater interest of course is pre and post weld heat treat on walls of thickness greater than 3/4 inch.

Actually, the Boiler Branch does apply for any pressurized system above 14.2 psig or one atmosphere AND application is designated for commercial use or in the public domain. Your post regarding non conformance to this body is probably because they consider application as private.

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Thanks for the reply.
Here is what the senior Technical Inspector from the Ontario Boiler branch said about Ontario's Boiler and pressure vessels Act. (regulation)
The Regulation states:
(2) This Regulation does not apply to,

(2)(g) a pressure vessel that is used exclusively for hydraulic purposes at a temperature no greater than 150ºF (65ºC);

If the system is completely hydraulic (no gas entrained in the system) operating at 150F or less (the owner must decide this) then it is exempt. It is then the owners responsibility to maintain it.

If our Regulation does not apply, then the Occupational Health and Safety Regulations would place the onus on the owner to ensure that the equipment is maintained and operated safely.

He suggested that maybe I look at ASME B31.1 or B31.3.

I was hoping someone could tell me what code would be used for the design and repair of this pipe with fittings.
Pipe-ASTM/ASME A/SA-106 GB (seemless pipe rated at 3000PSI)
Fittings are 2" 3000PSI ....(I belive the are forged steel)

thanks again

Cockroach - The TSSA Boilers & Pressure Vessels Safety Division, which is the provincial inspection authority for Ontario does not look at hydaulic oil systems, except as descibed by oildude. As far as I can determine, "enforcement" - if you can call it that - of any kind of code regarding hydraulics, will consist of the Ministry Of Labour (not the TSSA) showing up after an accident, and laying charges against the plant owner, using the catch-all "... responsibiliy of the plant owner to maintain a safe workplace" wording in general construction & industrial safety legislation.

This is a new thread. I installed a 1-1/2" Sierra flowmeter in our system that operates on 95 psi pressure and about 110 pounds per hour. The operating limits for the meter is at velocity of min 10 feet per second and maximum of 300 feet per second. After a month of operation the meter failed and the meter cavity was full of water. The manufacturer claimed that the meter operated at a velocity greater than 300 feet per second due to sudden drop in pressure, but nothing indicates that there was a pressure drop in the system, the meter diagnostics did not indicate that. My question is this, what other factors can trigger a rise in velocity from 35 fps to 300 fps, pipe size remaining the same. Right now, another meter on the same site is running at 440 fps and has not failed.

We deliver steam as if your life depends on it.

oildude - FYI. I was recently looking through an old Crane catalogue from 1936 for some information on an unrelated topic, when I came across "Exerpts From The Code For Pressure Piping American Tentative Standard B31.1, 1935". Under Section 1, Power Piping Systems, it specifically excludes (among other things) "piping for hydraulic pressure tools or equipment".

It would appear, from this, that it was NEVER the intention of the pressure piping code people to cover hydraulics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back