Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding SA213-T23 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

fborela

Materials
Oct 5, 2010
ES
Hello
I have to weld tube-tube diameter 42.4 and thickness 4.5 mm quality SA213-T23.
I suppose that I need to Preheat > 150ºC.
Do I need to make PWHT, what holding Temperature? what time? I found searching in the web some papers. Any of them specified PWHT 740 ºC 2 hours, another specified PWHT is not necesary for smaller thickness. I am confused.
I cannot find information about this material in ASME I neither ASME IX.

Thank you in advance:
Fernando Sieiro

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The use of this material is permitted per ASME B&PV Code Case 2199-6, and follows the welding requirements for P-No 5A base material. For ASME SA 213 T23, the preheat should be 400 deg F or 200 deg C.

For this material thickness, no PWHT is required.

PWHT is not required per ASME I and the referenced Code Case. We preheat at 300 F minimum and have done extensive hardness testing in developing our procedures. We weld with "T23 matching" filler metals from either Bohler or Metrode. While there are those who claim welding can be done safely without PWHT and weld hardness will not exceed 350 BHN, we have definitely disproved that notion, recording hardness up to 365 BHN. Our as welded hardness on tubes range between 275 BHN to 325 BHN with the 300 F preheat. Stress corrosion cracking may occur at hardness values near to and above 350 BHN.

On heavy wall P23 pipe we use 400 F preheat.

Of the more than 10,000 T23 tube welds made in the field by the company and in operation for four to six years in coal fired power boilers, no cracking or leakage has been reported to date. We have also performed numerous hardness checks on the completed welds with the large majority having hardness less than 290 BHN, equivalent. I would never attempt to discourage higher preheat temperatures but I certainly would discourage lower or no minimum preheat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back