Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

welding SS310

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turda

Materials
Feb 10, 2006
CA
Hi,
I need to calm down a staborn customer which insist in welding repairs for his SS310 carburize fixtures. I now from experience that once carburized, the welds wont last more than few runds.I need few direction to start make a presentation based on theory. What book or resources should I use. Is the carbon equivalent problen,Ni equivalent problem,filler,etc?
Thank you,
A

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Turda;
The web site below contains a succinct explanation of the damage associated with a local carburization zone in 310 ss.

I would not recommend welding on 310ss furnace fixtures that have been in service unless you are prepared to remove the carbon contamination layer where the welding will be performed, and weld using 310 filler metal. You will need to determine the depth of the carburized layer to get back to lower carbon base material, prior to welding.

Carburized fixtures are extremely brittle and won't last long after weld repairs. You can also observe that in the weld regions there are cracks.

Ofcourse it is very difficult to make a decision to replace with a new one. Hence life extension methods are adopted,unfortunately in this case without much benefit.

" All that is necessary for triumph of evil is that good men do nothing".
Edmund Burke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back