Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

welding steel 904L 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobosk

Mechanical
Jul 23, 2020
PL
Welding engineers or any of you were involved in the production of tanks made of 904L steel. If so, could he briefly write down what to watch out for, how to weld, any special procedures before, during and after welding? and preferably some nice teaching materials (WPS, columns, articles, guides).
Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

No I won't, because this should not be attempted without real-world input from a welding engineer. Retain one.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

How large of a tank? How thick of material?
It has low weld fluidity and zero ferrite so hot crack is a risk.
I have a welding guide someplace, I'll search.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Dhurjati Sen said:
You are asking for consultancy / specialized knowledge without spending a penny. Wow !

I really don't mind when I don't get retained for a few hours of welding engineering consulting. I also offer failure analysis for when it all goes wrong (and it will), and it pays much better.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back