Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welding Symbol (Finish symbol) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimrcasper

Structural
Aug 26, 2002
US
Does any one know of a through welding symbol reference? I would like to know what the differnt finish symbols represent. I have been refered to AWS A2.4.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Blodgett's book "Design of Welded Structures" and Salmon and Johnson's "Steel Design" have good references for weld symbols but they are not as complete as I would like. I don't have access to the AWS but have heard it is a good reference.

Complete Joint Penetration. Nothing to do with finish.

Unless, as I so often disclaim, I am Missing Something.

Hg

HgTX,

My origianl read of the original post was that there were two questions there.

I read "through" as in all that way through, hence CJP.

However, in rereading the question now, I see that Jim actually meant "thorough" as in complete and comprehensive.

PERHAPS YOU ARE REFERRING TO THE MELT THROUGH SYMBOL.

This will appear on the opposite side of the reference line from the bevel and is shown as radiused arc (filled) at the base of the groove signifying that the desired weld provides Complete joint penetration made from one side. If the symbol was outlined and not filled it would signify a backing weld.Hope this helps. See also Chapter 6 of the Welding Handbook, Eighth Edition.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back