Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Welding to a codes vessel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

11echo

Petroleum
Jun 4, 2002
US
I have a client that has a ASME coded vessel. It had, from the vendor, lugs to attach a platform on. However the platform was not installed and the construction people flame cut the lugs off approximately 2"to 3" from vessel shell. Now the client wants this platform installed. My questions are these: how close to a code vessel shell can I weld without violating the code? ...is it already violated at the 2" and 3"? Should I try just to put a bolt hole thru the existing lugs for this platform? Platform is basically 5ft. Sq and 4"to 6" off vessel shell, for maintenance on instrumentation. THX for the help! ...Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

11echo,

The best way to find out is asking your AI. As you would weld on a non-pressure part it would, in my opninion, not affect the stamping, but as I said, the best way to find out is asking your AI.

What you describe would not be a weld to a Code pressure boundary; therefore, it may appear that you could just proceed with it. HOWEVER, the load of the platform is applied to the pressure boundary, so I concur with marc100 that you should involve th AI. An engineer with ASME Code design experience is probably needed here. The AI cannot determine if the loads are a problem or not, but the engineer could. The AI will probably suggest just that.

Steve Braune
Tank Industry Consultants

You should be able to get a copy of the original design conditions form the jurisdictional authority.
The owner should also have information if they are the original owner of record. The main thing that needs to be determined are the new conditions the same as the original design called out.

It is still good advice to involve the AI up front in any work done on any stamped vessel.

Well I found out that indeed we can weld to these lugs, and as pointed out here, we just have to check on the load of the new platform on this vessel. looks like you guys have nailed it! THX for the help!!! ...Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back