Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weldless flange use on Epoxy coated steel pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVH

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2002
US
I wanted to check to see if anyone has experience in the use of weldless, Uni-Flange type, setscrew flanges on fusion bonded epoxy coated pipes. I was considering using one on a 12in pipe exposed to steady water pressure of 85 psi with some infrequent minor pressure pulsation up to perhaps 90psi. The epoxy coating is about .050in thick. I believe these are 12 setscrew flanges. Is there any pressure test standard for which I could test this assembly and what would a typical overpressure safety factor test pressure be? Thanks,

Phil

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While I can't remember seeing any specific caveats at least in their published literature with regard to this issue, if you have not yet done it may be appropriate to give the designer/manufacturer of these devices (Ford…?) "a shot" at this inquiry.

I have used uniflages on prime painted and tar coated steel and ductile iron pipes with out issue. Flange coupling adaptors are a much better coupling and allow much more flex in the pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back