Weldments & curved sections

Status
Not open for further replies.

nia573

Mechanical
Dec 9, 2021
GB
Weldments & curved sections

Ive started using weldments/structural members for some of my profiles & its ideal for quick frames like tables or boxes with straight profile sections.
Some of the welded frames I have to design have curved tubes or box sections
From the quick weldment sketch I created it was great for visual purposes, but say if a particular curved section profile would then need to be shown in its straight state (for purchasing from a laser cutters) Ive struggled to use the weldment

Previously I had this section in its straight form & applied the flex tool to give me the required curved state in the assembly. This was great for ordering in the part as I could have 2 configurations & 2 drawing sheets for the laser & fabricator but I then lost the 'adaptability' of the weldment assembly

I was thinking could I use the weldment sketch to drive the sketch within a seperate part but Im getting a bit confused & am unsure of the quickest & cleanest way to do it
Alternatively I tried saving the weldment bodies as parts & tried using the flex tool to straighten the part but had no success

Any quick tips or guides would be appreciated

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

nia573,

Are you using the weldment feature? I have never used curved sections, but I know they work. It ought to be doing a cut list for you.

--
JHG

Yrs ive tried using the weldment fearure & from my tests it creates a cut list,with the length & cut angles but our curved sections also have holes & slots, which will need showing in a straightened section for ordering from the laser cutters (in a drawing, dxf & step files)

nia573,

If you dimension your holes and slots after bending into a curve, you will be able to inspect them. If you machine or punch holes and slots in your beam, will they maintain their dimensions after bending? Should you be telling your fabricator how to do their jobs?

Nasty, messy problems in SolidWorks tend to be nasty, messy problems out in the real world.

--
JHG

nia573,

I am re-reading your response. Laser cutters almost certainly are CNC. Bending into curves is inaccurate. CNC laser cutting is accurate, and it easily cuts curves. Bend your beam. Laser cut the holes. Inspect the laser cut holes.

Your drawing should describe the thing you will inspect upon delivery. You don't care how they do it.

--
JHG

Currently we order in the straight sections with holes, angled cuts etc then after it comes to the factory here we roll them using the ring roller. I've modelled it as a straight section then used the flex tool to achieve what we manufacture in house. So now I've got 2 configurations & 2 drawing sheets.
Ideally I'd model it in its finished rolled state as a weldment, but I can't then straighten it using the flex tool so I'm at a dead end lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back