Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Weldments with angles

Status
Not open for further replies.

phreaq

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2005
CA
I'm drawing up my deck in SW, and I'm treating the whole upper deck (what you stand on) as a weldment. I have a series of boards as a lower frame, and now I've added a sketch for the floor boards, which I was on a 45deg angle.

Now I want to trim the floor boards flush with the outside perimeter of the lower frame, but every time I choose the trim/extend, it trims the wrong side of the floor board.

I then edited the floor board sketch so that it was 'inside' the lower frame, requiring an 'extend' but it won't extend at all.

I believe the issue is that there is no actually 'interference' between the floor board and the lower frame, since its sitting on top.

Anyone have any ideas?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm doing the exact same thing with my deck. I drew a longer-than-needed line at 45 degress, made a structural member, patterned it. Now all my floorboards overhang the frame.

Instead of using the weldment trim command as you are doing, I just drew a sketch (a rectangle in my case) and extrude-cut it. Flip the side to cut so it cuts outside of the sketch. I selected only the floorboard bodies to cut so my joists (what you call the "lower frame") and other pieces remain intact.

SPR 270904 was issued for this problem somewhere around 5/20/2005. It would appear they haven't finished the weldment trim tool. TRIM WITH SURFACE and EXTRUDED CUT both allow you to control what gets kept and what gets discarded, but not the weldment trim tool.

TJ McDermott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back