Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Welds 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilburfhh

Mechanical
May 3, 2006
US
What is the difference between a buttweld and a socketweld in a flange? Doing a piping take off.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A girth butt weld is typically a circumferential full penetration fusion weld used to attatch two piping components end-to-end. The term socket welding fitting is applied to a fitting made to ANSI Standard B16.11 (up to NPS 4 sizes). When a socket weld flange or fitting is attached to a pipe, a fillet weld is used for attachment after the pipe is fitted into the "socket" of the fitting. Go to this document and see page 10 for a welding detail:

You apparently would benefit from owning a copy of "The Piping Guide"

Regards, John.

Butt welds (penetration thro the wall thickness) would apply to Weld Neck flanges while socket welds (fillet welds) would apply to Socket Weld flanges.

wilburfhh,
When I first read your question I got mad. Then I thought about it for a while and the mad turned to being sorry for you. I am sorry for you because it is not your fault that no one has ever taught you about piping. And trust me the question you asked is basic piping.
Your company should be ashamed. Ashamed because they asked you to do a job but they did not train you to do it.
I suggest you go to the <<pipingdesigners.com>> website and read ALL the material there under "Training", "Tips", "Tools" and "Standards" along with some of the subjects on the "Forum."

Now the quick answer to your question,
A. The buttweld flange is properly called a Weld-Neck flange. It has an extended, tapored neck and a bevel end which is the same I.D. and O.D. as the pipe it is joined to with a full penetration butt-weld.
B. The socket weld flange has a socket into which the pipe is inserted. The pipe is joined to the socket weld flange with a simple fillet weld.

I hope this has not offended you but will indeed help
Regards
pennpiper

Pennpiper,
Thanks for the plug!

wilburfhh,
I agree with Pennpipers sentiments, which is one of the reasons we put a training section on pipingdesigners.com.

It is not intended to replace the basic training that you should have received at you company, but it can help.
JohnBreen has also, quite rightly, suggested "The Piping Guide". This is a publication that should be in every pipers briefcase, along with another called "Process Piping Draughting" (By Rip Weaver, I think, but may be wrong)

With regard to the training sections on pipingdesigners.com, if any of the more experienced pipers out there, feel that the piping community could benifit from their wisdom, please feel free to forward any papers etc that you feel would be of benifit to younger pipers, after all, these are the guys that will be taking up the reigns in the future.

God help us if the level of in-house company training doesn't progress from the current standard being offered by the likes of the company that wilburfhh and many others are working for.

(.... sorry about the blatent plug, but it is in the interest of furthering knowledge!)

pipingdesigner
pipingdesigners%20logo.gif

sorry ... but .. an answers..like the one pennpiper and pipingdesigner add..makes alot of the new and beginners designer to run away from this forum!!! this forum is to help all type of designers (Jnr & Snr)

now about the answer for your question:

butt weld ...where we weld to pipes or pipe and fitting head to head both ends have bevel shape for weld filling

socket weld .. where pipe slid inside the fitting and then the weld will be applied all around the edge (the external edge for the fitting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back