Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

well inspection 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvg

Civil/Environmental
Dec 16, 1999
US
about how long (how many days) should it take to pull the pump out of a 200 - 300 foot deep, 6" diameter well, bail, brush and acid clean the screen, and video inspect the well?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can comment on the pump pulling and video logging: If the well is a typical submersible well and nothing goes wrong, both should be able to be done in one day including reinstalling the pump. However, things can go wrong. I was recently inspecting a pump replacement on a 8” well with submersible pump set around 400 ft. The pitless adapter would not budge. It was either set off-kilter or rusted in place. It was something the well contractor couldn’t help. At one point his rig hydraulics gave way because he tried pulling too hard. Anyway, what should have taken one day took three after having to excavate down to the pitless adapter and arrange for a welder to come out and cut it out. Once it was removed it took a day to pull the pump and replace it.

I’ve seen several video loggings done for wells deeper than 400 ft and it should take 2 - 4 hours depending on set up time.

You may want to read over the acid cleaning spec to see if the acid has to be left in contact for any period of time.

You could always call a few other well contractors and tell them you’re putting together a cost estimate for this and need a time estimate to propose a budget.

It will take about a day to remove the pump. I would expect that it would take a total of 3 to 5 days to remove the pump, acid treat, and video the well.

It will take another 3-5 days to reinstall the well pump and disinfect. The flushing, disinfection and sampling takes a minimum of 3 days.

With the Acid, add at least a full day to flush the acid out.
Some acids result in positive coliform samples, which add 1-2 days per sample. I have seen a 4 day delay in restarting the well due to positive coliform samples when acid was used.

Hydrae

thanks hydrae
these are dewatering wells, not potable. how does that affect the disinfection requirement?

Since you are not using them for potable supply, then you only need to follow your state water resources requirements on disinfection and aquifer contamination if there is any.

Most of us who follow this forum, use wells for drinking water supply. Your question on how long it should take made us assume you were looking at how long you need to provide alternative supply whether storage or other sources.

Hydrae

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back