Well Installation - Drilling methods 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelelo

Geotechnical
Aug 10, 2009
DO
Engineers,

We plan to install a monitoring well for environmental purposes.

Client wants to use sonic drilling for the installation. In the area, drillers are used to install wells using continuous flight augers.

The monitoring well will be installed in clayey soils, about 40 feet below ground.

I was wondering if there is any difference between having a monitoring well using sonic drilling vs auger drilling?. To my knowledge the sonic drilling is faster and you get more sampling but still it doesn't convince me to be used to install a single well. Also sonic drilling is more expensive.

On other hand, someone suggested to use direct push method.

Can anyone tell the advantages of using direct push vs augers vs sonic drilling?, it is not clear to me.

please advise,

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you wish to get detailed info about the various layers or just a well. Makes a difference as to how installed. If in any doubt I'd have a geotech firm do it and sample in the usual way.

If someone wants to install an environmental monitoring well then they should be targeting something and the drill method should be suited to that purpose.

But to the information you have provided a monitoring well in clay soils. Drill the largest possible diameter and put in a long screen as it will take forever to recharge after purging the standing water in the pipe and sand pack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back