Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Westinghouse Info 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ichrist

Electrical
Oct 22, 2007
CA
Hi all:

Does anyone know where I can find original info on Westinghouse KX-642 / KR85? I found a general description on a museum website which tells me it is a voltage arrestor. I need to replace several of these and would be more comfortable if I knew what the original specs were.

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is it part of the power system? If it is you don't need to know, just place the current type device.

Did you offer to sell them to the museum? After all, what good museum dosen't have a KX-642?

Sorry Cranky, I guess I left some details out. I think that's a common occurrence though.
These are conncected across the terminals of a CT circuit where the CT is on the neutral of a 72 kV cap bank. There are also 2 terminals tied to the 72 kV neutral. Our dwg refers to it as an "arc tube", though I believe it is essentially a surge suppressor.

I get nervous offering stuff to a museum when it's 18 yrs younger than I am!

Sorry about the jest, it's my attempt to relieve stress.

I have heard about arc-tube's, but I don't know the difference between them and an arrester. However if the CT's are not of a high voltage design, it could make since. But then again it may have some impedance to force some of the current through the CT.

ABB I thought purchased much of the Westinghouse power division, so you might check with them (warning the web site is hard to follow).

The CT on the nutral of a capacitor bank is used to detect unbalance, so I don't think they would want to completly short it out with an arrester. Again it might be for spike protection of the CT.

The part number (like most) don't have a meaning. A description is much better.

Thanks mgtrp, that's precisely what I was looking for. And no, it didn't show up in my searches so perhaps it's time to switch engines ...
Anyway, much appreciated that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back