Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wet-pipe or Dry-pipe system?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madvb

Mechanical
Dec 16, 2002
US
1) What is the proper way to determine whether a dry-pipe or wet-pipe system should be used? I have looked at design winter dry bulb temperatures, and it seems that most cities in California have a winter dry bulb temperature at or below 32°F and record low temperatures even lower.

Winter design temperature for one of my projects is 30°F with record low at 20°F. A dry-pipe sprinkler system is specified, but our State Fire Marshal stated they will not approve a dry-pipe system for this location. Is there a calculation that needs to be done that will tell me if a wet-pipe system is adequate?

2) Does NFPA require all portions of the piping containing water in a fire sprinkler system (wet or dry) be maintained above 40°F? If so, can pipe insulation be used to accomplish this?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Did they say why a dry pipe would not be allowed??? High piled stock application ???

If the design meets 13 seems like it is up to you/ owner which type of system they want to put in

Would say if the pipe cannot be maintained to 40 F, than an alternative has to be done

I'm not sure if SFM gave a reason. Our fire protection engineer passed the message to us and didn't give a reason. Our FPE also agreed with the SFM. I asked our FPE for a reason and asked the same questions I asked here, but have not gotten a response from the FPE.

Is this a warehouse??

Is it some type of building that either is not Normaly heated or would take a lot to maintain a set temp??

Your paying the FPE so he should answer why a dry system is speced

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back