Wet Scrubbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broker_Henry

Chemical
Sep 19, 2008
US
Hello everyone;

I am preparing for the Engineers Australia Oral Exam for Biomedical and Mechanical Engineering. Similar to the American PE designation. One of the topics I was given to study says:

Water spray droplets are used to scrub out Particulate Matter 2.5 in incinerators and other emission sources. Also, rain droplets are found to be effective in reducing the PM2.5 in the atmosphere.

1. Describe in detail the underlying mechanism for this scrubbing effect.

2. Perform calculations to show the effectiveness of rain droplets in removing PM2.5 under gravity. Make any assumptions as required.

3. Determine the scrubbing efficiency if the droplets are sprayed inside a chamber at high velocities.

I would appreciate guidance on how to tackle this problem. Are there books or literature on this matter that anyone could recommend? I have scoured NOAA and the EPA but not really found much.

Thank you.

Henry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thank you very much for your response. I was able to find a patent application by Gaylord W. Penney from 1944 that described the mechanism. I was then able to find other works citing his approach. I am now able to perform the required calculations and descriptions that would be required during the oral exam.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back