Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Wet Sprinkler System in TR Rooms ( Transformer Rooms )

Status
Not open for further replies.

umutus

Mechanical
Dec 19, 2020
KW
Hello,

In the project where i am working, there are sidewall sprinklers ( Wet System ) in TR ( Transformer Rooms ). I actually did not understand why we need to protect those rooms with Wet Pipe Sprinkler System?

As i know, those kind of rooms need to be protected by like FM200 system.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Any insurance mandating specific requirements? Strictly from NFPA 13 point of view, if the transformers are dry only you could skip sprinkler protection all together but most likely other measures will need to be taken to compensate for the omission. Sprinklers could remain but expect loss of the transformer(s).

If we are talking for oil transformers, standard sprinklers are usually not the favorable option. You re better off looking for something of total flooding like deluge, mist or gas systems.

Again, check if any AHJ from insurance has to say something about it.

Some building codes will allow certain rooms containing electrical equipment to not be provided with sprinklers. However, it is something that needs to be addressed with the AHJ.

Some AHJ will allow a clean agent to be used in such rooms but also want a dry or preaction system to be the back up. The reasoning behind it is clean agents are not necessarily good with reignition. If that happens, the AHJ wants the water to flow. They are concerned more with protecting the building than protecting the electrical equipment. Some AHJ will let you not sprinkler these types of rooms, but will then not allow the building to be called "fully suppressed" which drives the architect mad because of all the egress and fire alarm requirements that go into not being fully suppressed.

I've seen projects with additional wall fire rating for transformer room walls for rooms without sprinklers that maintain the definition of fully sprinklered.
Some AHJ will also require wet-pipe system with a shut-off valve and tamper switch outside the room.
As all have mentioned here, needs a call to the AHJ. IBC and NFPA will not likely get you a firm answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back