Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Wetting Agent for Pressure Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

mahadhatu

Materials
Nov 4, 2003
US
We make and test replacement pumps for the petrochemical industry. As a part of the testing process, we have to hydrostatic pressure test each pump case. I am looking for wetting agent or surfactants that you add to the water when pressure testing to enhance the properties of water.

Does any have an idea where I could find this product and who manufactures it?

API 610 mentions the use of Wetting agents while pressure testing but does not tell any thing more.

I appreciate your input.

--------------------------------------
There is always some thing better out there...
Mahadhatu

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The wetting agent reduces the surface tension of the water which makes it more sensitive to leak through small cracks during pressure testing.

API 610 calls out to use water with a Wetting agent or Kerosene when the pump is operating over 500F and you are pressure testing at room temperature. Using water with a surfactant or a wetting agent is much more safer than using kerosene.

Mahadhatu

Snoop (tm) is MADE as a leak detector.
A squirt of Dishwashing detergent mixed in a bottle of water works well, too.

Madhadhatu - We are needing a wetting agent for hydrotesting valves. Did you find what you were looking for and if so can you please forward the information.

Thank you,
theall

I found and am currently using a wetting agent / Surfactant made by NALCO .The name is NALCO EC2112A.

All the best!

Mahadhatu

Have a look into photography supplies for wetting agents. These are designed to reduce surface tension of water to stop spotting when processing films.

Kodak brand is Photoflo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back