Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

WhatÆs the more adequate engineering? (help me to chose) 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

stukafr

Automotive
Aug 3, 2011
PT
I am a student who has six days to decide which course to go, but it seems that the more I research the more confuse I get, due to the many options available.

What I want to learn is electronic / electromechanical physics (aerodynamics income etc.), ( want to learn all that i need to build electrical machines(ex electric car), or car's computers.. etc)

With this in mind my main options are:
Mechanical engineering.
Mechatronics.
Electromechanical engineering.
Electrical engineering.
Electronic Engineering.

Could be recommended any of the prior art in view of what I want to learn? thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To be honest, exactly what you do at university doesnt matteras much as you think as long as it is in the general field that you are looking for.

A degree is not going to teach you 'everything you need to know to design an electric car' a large amount of that you are going to have to learn on the job.

A degree cannot teach you everything because:

The syllabus is set at the begining of the year so what you learn is at least 1 year out of date.

They do not have time to teach you every angle of every facet of your chosen professions that would take many more years than anyone would want to spend at university.

They cant properly teach you how these things are used and how they are built and how they can go wrong, understanding these comes with experience.

What a degree will give you is the foundation for life long learning.

While I don't recommend buying this book: the gist of the book is that there is no "plan" that you can create for your life. As suggested by many authors on the subject of war, the battle "plan"s often the first casualty of battle. So, theoretically, there is no "best" major, or discipline, for anyone.

I had planned on being an EE in 7th grade, and graduated with BSEE thinking I would be designing microprocessor ICs. But, life took nearly an immediate turn, resulting in no chips, or portions thereof, designed, and actually very little of my degree exercised. Nonetheless, pay is good, job is reasonably fulfilling.

Likewise, you should go with your desires, but the reality at the other end of the college process may steer you in a totally different direction.

TTFN

FAQ731-376
Chinese prisoner wins Nobel Peace Prize

Here is my 2 cents.

If you are really just looking at making money go get a finance degree. But if you really want to do Engineering here is what I have found.

Everyone (management especially) looks at a mechanical device and thinks, anybody could have done that, I could have done that, its not that hard, why should I be paying this guy so much.

Everyone looks at a black box that is controlling the device and they say. look at that voodoo magic box I don't understand. I better throw money at the guys who can make that work because I know I can't.

There are some personality aspects to consider as well. I just don't fit in with electrical engineers when we all go to the bar.

Really, gad? A quality ME impresses me... they come up with unique cams (trying to design a locking cam myself, right now, and I can't quite solve all of the problems with it... I bet an ME would draw up a sketch of a good one in 15 seconds). A basic CAD jockey, not so much, as I can do that.

Maybe it's because I'm seeing it from the other side of the septic tank, but I don't think software/hardware guys get the respect we should. It's invisible, and few understand the thought involved to make it work without fail, like expecting the gas pedal in your car to get you somewhere without thinking twice about the myriad of parts in the engine working together to accomplish that goal. At best, the customer is merely content something works as it should... at worst, the customer is outraged a bug wasn't found until it hit their hands.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

I completely dissagree with gadkinsj.
The persons who don't give respect are the type that don't respect everyone....

I can give many examples in this regard

[peace]
Fe

Gadkins:

If that is true, then why are Mechanicals and Electricals listed on the net as the most likely to find jobs? Mechanicals are currently more in demand than Electricals.

If I were you, I'd quit complaining and be proud of the profession you have chosen.

Cheers.

Mike McCann
MMC Engineering

Actually, that electronic black box and everything inside may have been designed by Mechanical Engineers. That is my bread and butter. I tell the EEs that it all looks good in the lab on bread boards, but when it comes time to package the electronics it become more difficult, which is where the ME comes in, designing everything from the CCA out to the box. It becomes more of a challenge if an 18 year old will take that box out to some god forsaken place and then on top of that his/her life may depend on that black box working without a hitch. Theories used from a ME’s repertoire are Heat Transfer, Dynamics, Material, and Structural.

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."
“Luck is where preparation meets opportunity”

All disciplines have their place and sometimes we all have to work in the same sandbox. It's a great profession regardless of the chosen discipline.

I made one overgeneralized comment about my personal situation and I've become a Mech Engineer hater in 8 posts or less? \

My best professor told me that an Engineer can do for a buck what anyone else can do for 2.

I'm commenting to general perceptions I have noted with people that I personally work at. For comparison it is a fortune 100 company and I work in an engineering department with about 140 people and we are just a small subset of the engineering organization. We are currently trying to hire 7 Electrical engineers who don't mind some travel and can program PLC's. But have all the Mechs we can stomach.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back