Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What a motor need to be able to get connected to VSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mehdikardehi

Mechanical
May 31, 2009
AU
I am not an electrician....I want to purchase an evaporative air conditioner which the air flow can be adjusted by a VSD. Could that be done to any evaporative coolers out there?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am no expert in this field, but I think you need to make sure that the chiller is able to modulate. The VSD will change the air flow of the ventilator fitted on to your evaporator. This means the cooling drawn from your evaporator will fluctuate along with the VSD, thus your chiller will have to modulate along with the VSD.

Evaporative coolers are typically Constant Volume type air systems (used in wide open spaces), Not Variable Air Volume type, VSD's are for VAV only, not CV.

You really need Variable volume for a commercial kitchen using evaporative cooler?
Can you really have a descent pay-back on the VAV system and controls compared to the energy saved? you're talking what? 3 Hp? 5 HP motor?

Just what I thought, anywhere between 3 and 5 HP between 1" and 1.5" SP for such systems.
Nowhere in hell can you have a payback for such a low BHP, not even talking about the additional maintenance and trouble of controls.
You should keep it cheap and simple and go CV pal.

Not so much an issue of $ here.It is about comfort and noise level.I do not know what is the kitchen size here.Assuming it is 6mx6m,that is 153 litres of air per sq.meter with its resultant drafts and noise.When you are cooking,you need it.When you are done with cooking,spare the guys from the turbulent blast of air!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back