Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

what a waste of time and energy..

Status
Not open for further replies.

westheimer1234

Structural
Jun 19, 2009
US
i got interviewed 1st by the recruiter for 1 hr over the phone..
i got interviewed by the managers/lead engineers for 1 hr over the phone..
i got onsite interview for 5 hours! can you believe that 5 hours! with 5 different managers..

i didnt get the job... wtf..
i knew i wasnt getting the job they keep asking for field and lead experience which i dont have..
and this other guy got like 10 more years exp than i have..

what a waste of time and energy.. pisses me off.. they should have not interviewed me for 5 hours.. i mean common the 2nd interview they knew the other guy would get it..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ctopher,
You got to tell us how you land in a job in 10 minutes.

IRstuff,
That was funny, can't believe they were reluctant tell you what they were offering.

ctopher,
... and what they find out in eleven minutes! ;-)

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

No..just because they interviewed you for 6 hours doesn't mean it was important. One of my former employers would interview prospective engineers for an entire day...showing them around, trying to sell them on the attributes of the company, having multiple people spend time with them from engineers to admin, and really spending more time on whether they fit socially in the organization than trying to determine if they exhibited communications skills, engineering competence, or had a reasonable work ethic.

I have interviewed many engineers, technicians, and admin people over the years. I usually develop my opinion in a few minutes and then spend the next 45 minutes to an hour trying to refute my opinion, either way. It is perhaps an odd approach, but it has served me well over the years. In my opinion, any interview over 1-1/2 to 2 hours is a waste of time.

Shortly after I was laid off a year ago, I was called in to an interview with a company I really liked.

I thought the interview went well; they even introduced be to the benefits manager and was told that she would be handling all things related to company benefits.. thought that was a very positive sign.. but it was a waste of time as well.. they even got offended a week and a half later when I called because I had a couple other offers and needed to make a decision..

Westheimer1234,

That really blows with a high N value!! I have been on some long interviews of late, myself.

Before Bear Stearns had a few too many drinks and wrapped the economy around a utility pole and ran away with your money, you could go to an interview for half an hour and get the job!

You go to a car dealership right now and you can get the deal of a lifetime. That's the same thing those hiring managers are thinking.

I know how you feel. I have written thank-you letters and sent emails to those I talked to with nothing in return from them.

I once applied at a large multi-national firm where there was this HR guy calling me from Upstate New York about a position in NYC. He even gave me a run-down of the people and their personalities. He even gave me interview pointers. I still listened to him. He said: "Just follow all these rules and you'll be in shit hot shape!"

I went to the interview. It was promising. I had a good time. They knew who I worked for. The interview was a few hours too. Sent emails and letters to no avail.

I called that HR guy and he broke the news. He said it was wrong of them to leave me in the dark for a few weeks like that.

Hang in there, Westy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back