Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What alloy do they use for fuel pump nozzles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedVette

Automotive
Apr 19, 2011
US
Hey, guys.

Can someone tell me what alloy is used to make the nozzle pipes at the fuel pump? I've read that certain stainless steels are suitable for contact with stagnant gasoline (that gas tanks are sometimes made of stainless), but I've also read that Inconel is used for fuel nozzles. When I was at QT, I saw slight darkening of the nozzle, but nothing beyond that, so I figured whatever metal that is would be good enough.

Any info is much appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We used to supply a lot of 304L for fueling nozzles.
That is before they were all made in China.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Hey, Ed.

Wow. I previously thought this would require at least grade 316. But if 304L is acceptable for this application, then I guess Inconel would be overkill. Maybe Inconel is only used for nozzles in the aerospace field...

Out of curiosity, are the stainless supplies from India acceptable in today's market?

Thanks very much for clarifying.

They can't use plain steel because it will rust.
Galvanized won't work because the bend, form, and punch holes, so edges would rust.
Cu and Al are too soft to take the abuse.
They can't use 409 stainless because of the forming.
So in the end even bad 304 will do the job. But the welds must be perfect, no dimensional indication and the exact same properties as the base metal.
The better stuff from India and China will do the job. But when you are forming a lot of parts even having 1 out of 500 fail to from properly is unacceptable. So they are a little cautious about suppliers.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back