Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are alternative designations for 52202 bi-directional thrust bearings?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giffyguy

Mar 18, 2016
US
I need a designation with a smaller outside-diameter, but I'm having trouble tinkering with the numbers.
I keep getting bearings with the wrong bore diameter, or no results at all.

I'm currently working with 52202, which is a bi-directional thrust ball bearing with a 10mm bore diameter.
The problem is that the 52202 has a 32mm outside-diameter, which seems excessively large relative to other uni-directional thrust bearings - and is too large for me to work into my current design for this project.

Is there a different designation that will specify a bi-directional thrust ball bearing with a 10mm bore, and a smaller outside-diameter such as 18mm or 22mm? (as possible examples)
The smaller the better.

I can be flexible with the outside-diameter as well as the height - I just need to know what my options are for reducing the outside-diameter.
I cannot modify my shaft diameter, so I'm stuck with 10mm for the inside bore.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I should mention, this bearing is for a simplified, scaled-down mini-prototype.
I'll be using a much more sophisticated bearing system in the final product.
This prototype is just to demonstrate that the laws of physics enable my design to operate as expected.

Tmoose said:
How small does the OD need to be?
As small as possible. I'll modify my design to accommodate, but the larger the OD the less effective the result will be - the larger bearing gets in the way of other important things that need the space.

Tmoose said:
What are your thrust loads, and rpm?
Thrust loads might be a couple hundred lbs at the most, but shouldn't be too bad.
I've structured it so the thrust is primarily borne by other pieces of the apparatus - this bearing is just to make sure the axle stays in place for endurance testing.
RPM for my simplified prototype should never get above maybe 2K I think, maximum.

Tmoose said:
Is there a bearing nearby to handle radial loads?
Yes, roller bearings handle the radial load, while allowing for the shaft to expand/contract with heat differences (since the inside races can slide).

Tmoose said:
How are you going to lubricate it?
Axle grease for my simplified prototype.

Tmoose said:
Can you tolerate 0.007" axial clearance?
More clearance is better, since temperature differences can be pretty extreme.
The shaft is well-stabilized by other means (centrifugal force, air pressure, radial bearings, etc.), so I can tolerate higher clearances more easily than lower clearances.

It looks like even the needle roller thrust bearings are uni-directional.
I'll probably just need to use two uni-directional thrust bearings with 18mm ODs, and place them on the axle back-to-back to make them work like a bi-directional thrust bearing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back