What are job prospects in Canada like for graduates? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

IRLchemeng

Chemical
Dec 8, 2010
IE
Hi guys,

I was just wondering if anyone had some advice on the subject of employment prospects for process engineers in Canada. I'm in Ireland at the moment and I'm considering all my options.

I hear Alberta is the place to be but I'd like to hear some opinions on the subject :)

Obviously, I'm looking towards the petrochemical industry here. Oil sands, etc.

My qualifications are:

B.Eng (Hons) Chemical/Process Engineering (2:1);2009
MSc Sustainable Energy Systems; 2010
Under 1 year work experience (Technical Intern - ConocoPhillips)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't come without a job offer in hand. It'll be worth points toward immigrating, but most important it'll ensure that you don't have to take a crap job outside engineering to keep body and soul together.

At the entry level, I wouldn't hold my breath, but you never know. Best of luck to you- just don't curse Canada if it doesn't work out.

There are many jobs in Canada for good qualified people at all levels.

Alberta, BC, Sask, NB, Nlfd, and NS are all areas with lots of oil/gas activities. Canada is coming out of this recession, and the oil and gas industry will continue to grow.

You mentioned you are with ConocoPhillips. Perhaps you can look in their internal listings for positions in Canada and apply through that channel.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Yes, there are plenty of advertized positions, but none of those positions are for entry level. Even if they are looking for an entry level candidate, an entry-level engineer from overseas with nothing other than a brief internship under their belt isn't going to be of much interest. Unlike the 1950s, Canada has no shortage of engineering grads. What we have is a shortage of people with 10-15 yrs of relevant experience, which is not unusual in industries which weren't hiring ANY fresh grads 10-15 yrs ago. That's of absolutely no use to the OP though.

Fluor might be worth investigating, also Amec, they do work in the oil sands if you're interested.

Shell and ExxonMobil would also be worth looking into.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back