Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are points to be considered while stress analyzing a pipe which have D/t ratio more than 100?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1anuppiping1

Petroleum
Nov 6, 2014
IN
Dear All,
I have a query. Will be thankful if you clarify my doubt.

While stress analysis of a line with D/t ratio more than 100 (48 inch flare line with standard wall thickness) using Caesar II, i found a warning that the SIF calculations are not proper. So sifs can be calculated using FE-SIF. What other considerations i should make while analyzing such lines?

Thanks in advance.....

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thin walled lines are prone to local buckling which Caesar does not check. You need to check that buckling will not occur. Also local loads at pipe supports - again Caesar does not check.

I had have similar case. As DSB123 told CAESAR II does not check local stress and failure. You should use a finite element software for your case, such as ANSYS or ABAQUS. It should be mentioned that, SIF warning is a small portion of your problem, and big portion of your problem is stress of pipe at support and whereas there is a point load.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back