Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are "staked" bolt threads? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

pricklyPete

Structural
May 14, 2004
US
In the 1983 AISC article "Design of Headed Anchor Bolts" by Shipp and Haninger, it states:

"Where plain bars are used, the equivalent anchorage may be accomplished by threading the embedded end of the bar and using one heavy hex nut with bolt threads "staked" at two places below the heavy hex nut"

What does "staked" mean in the application?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe it means to permanently deform the threads so that the nut can not come off.

I agree. I think a chisel is used to "foul" the threads.

DaveAtkins

Using a punch or chisel to upset the threads next to the nut to prevent the nut from moving.

Ted

Author probably meant spiked. See thread507-216284.

Staked, Spiked, Defaced, Fouled, etc, etc, etc.... There doesn't seem to be any accepted term, and I doubt we can speculate whether the author meant to use a different word. I do think we can infer that they intended that the thread be damaged beyond serviceable use.

Cheers,

YS

B.Eng (Carleton)
Working in New Zealand, thinking of my snow covered home...

pricklyPete,
This might help.

Staking- Staking is a method of fastening (usually sheet metal) by squeezing protrusion formed in one part inside a hole in the second part, and then deforming the protrusion. The act of deformation causes radial expansion of the inner part and locks it in the hole.

Oh wow... Could this perhaps apply specifically to those hollow bolts you see once in a blue moon?

Can anyone confirm Hogan's definition?

Hogan: Where did you find that?

Cheers,

YS

B.Eng (Carleton)
Working in New Zealand, thinking of my snow covered home...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back