Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What are some good job search sites for engineering positions? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

astonmartin0818

Electrical
May 11, 2012
Are there any engineering specific sites? Or are there any general job search sites you guys would recommend?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, first things first, job websites don't seem to have the best reputation on this forum for being an effective way to find jobs. So be prepared for lots of replies telling you to network, or apply to places in person...

There have been multiple threads over the last few years about finding jobs so I'm sure you can find some of them with their various tips and tricks etc.

However, that said, I actually got my current job from having my resume posted online. An agency (Aerotek) found my resume with certain keywords on it and got me placed on a temp to perm position.

Now I can't recall exactly which site it was, either Career Builder or Monster best I can recall. Ironically enough I had put myself on thingamajob, which is tied in with Aerotek but they didn't find me on there as I recall.

The US govt and some of it's big departments have their own sites too.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I used those two sites during my last search as well as Indeed.com and Simplyhired.com, which are both essentially the same. The good thing about these sites is that you get a daily email letting you know about any jobs that match your search criteria. I had a lot of calls from agencies, but there are some companies that are directly looking through these sites as well. I also got some hits through Linkedin.com, but that can depend on your network. Good luck!

Boottmills

I'd suggest putting your resume on as many job sites as possible for passive job hunting, but using only Indeed for active searches, job updates, etc. (Indeed is an aggregator, so it searches Monster, CareerBuilder, Thingamajob, etc.)

That being said, I got my current job from networking, so do that.

"Engineers like to solve problems. If there are no problems handily available, they will create their own problems." -Scott Adams

Depends what you're looking for. For contract work (primarily aerospace) try:

Don't forget LinkedIN. The nice thing about LinkedIN is that is a hybrid between a typical job website and social networking. Recruiters are definitely using it actively to find people.

Also, don't miss the jobs link at the top right corner on this website!

What "KAYAK.com" is to travel sites, "indeed.com" is to job sites.

All the old standards:
monster
careerbuilder
hotjobs

...and about 250 others of various names. Just a thought: "research skills".

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

I keep getting recruiter calls from CareerBuilder but that has been the jist of it. Head hunter calls, talks, passes on info to company then calls back to say they are shooting for local. I did manage a few interviews from CareerBuilder as well. I had a resume on Indeed.com and a few others just to get an idea of whats out there.

Obviously they don’t have the same number of jobs as more general job search sites but most trade magazines have a jobs section and are probably worth a look especially if you have expertise is a specific field.

The end game:
[ul]
[li]utilize a variety of websites to gather intelligence & info...all jobs are not posted on a single site[/li]
[li]many jobs simply aren't posted for a variety of reasons...you may have to do your research, learn how to cold call, navigate gatekeepers, get the hiring manager on the phone, and ask...I got my best job ever that way[/li]
[/ul]

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

tygerdawg points out how important it is to gather information. I frequently will find a company position that is intriguing, and will search for more information. One good place is glassdoor.com where people will provide comments on companies. I always consider that the feedback may be biased, but even biased information provides more insight over no information.

Has nobody clicked the button on the top-right of THIS website?
I looked through it once, and easily found jobs I was qualified for, and near where I live (though I wasn't actually looking at the time).

STF

Spar - thanks for seconding my point! The engineering.com listings are pretty good (link top right).

A few other things to add.

If you use an RSS reader (such as Google reader) many of the mentioned websites allow you to add a search result as a feed. This makes going through results from numerous places much, much easier and ensures you don't miss many opportunities.

I'll second indeed as probably the best general search tool, and it has a search tool which is pretty good (RSS capable).

If you are looking within a region, its also worth checking craigslist (RSS capable), I see lots of posts for jobs in metro areas up on craigslist before they filter through to the other sites.

Also, I would suggest using the website to locate the job, and if possible, applying directly through the company instead of the web service. HR departments get large dumps from external websites which are harder for them to utilize than internal results. For smaller companies, direct email is definitely preferred; the email gives you a chance to introduce yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back