Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are spherilastic bushes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinceAsaro

Automotive
Jul 4, 2003
US
I'm new to this forum and from the U.S. and have never heard of these. They sound like they may be what i've been looking for. Any info appreciated.
Vince Asaro

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

vince, i take it you are refering to a pivoting joint more commonly known as a rose joint? if so it comprises a steel sphere inside an outer shell with a threaded adjuster attatched to the outer shell and the internal sphere has a bolt hole through it for mounting. as used on most race cars and some high end exotics. very good for tension and compession loads but useless for side load applications. what is the desired use for these joints, ie auto suspension or other

I would assume from the term 'spherilastic' that the device is some kind of compromise between elastomer bushes as used in OEM suspensions and the spherical or rose joints as described by moparmark above. We have used a device (in an OEM application) which is known as a 'ballbush'. The device appears similar to an elastomer bush, but has a steel spherical bearing at its centre, surrounded by an elastomeric material.

Pete.

Hey Guy's,
Thanks for the replies. I read a message in this forum that mentioned a "spherilastic bush". I'm building a suspension system for a car and if the name is indicative of the actual part, it would be ideal for this application. Basically, a spherical joint encapsulated in some kind of elastomer/rubber. Right now I use all metal spherical joints that in the US are refered to as "rod ends" or "Heim Joints". They are ideal for race cars but are too harsh for the street, in my opinion. Anybody have a trade name or manufacturer for the "Spherilastic bush"? Thanks in advance.
Vince Asaro

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back