What are the Core Engineering Skills? 13

Status
Not open for further replies.

spggodd

Mechanical
Mar 16, 2012
GB
Hi Guys,

I have been asked to prepare a presentation 5-10 slides with the topic: "What are the core engineering skills?".

I was wondering if I could get your opinions as this forum obviously represents a wide range of engineering fields and disiplines and I may pick up on some areas that I'm missing out.

I was going to take 2 slides for the title/end & references, 4 slides for technical skills and 4 slides for soft skills etc.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just a start:
- Teamwork
- Logical Thinking
- Planning
- Organization
- Leadership
- Materials
- Electronics
- Chemistry

prognosis: Lead or Lag

Logical thinking
Commitment (when you graduate, you have only started learning)
Mathematics
Communication

PE, SE
Eastern United States

"If a builder builds a house for someone, and does not construct it properly, and the house which he built falls in and kills its owner, then that builder shall be put to death!"
~Code of Hammurabi

Troubleshooting - a logical, systematic search for the source of a problem so that it can be solved, and so the product or process can be made operational again.

A very strong BS detector - a lot of times instruments, people, and computers lie! You have to be able to catch those.

Good luck,
Latexman

Technically, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

I'd say mechanics is a pretty important topic. Same goes with som basic electrical skills, some software engineering skills even if that might be harder to explain in just a slide.

But most of all, I think the main skill of an engineer is to break down huge problems into small parts to be able to solve it. So, depending on what your audience is, I'd start with a big problem containing all the above mentioned topics in slide one and then show how to break down it into small parts after which you can solve each part using mechanics, maybe an iterative while-loop to illustrate software engineering and some electrics in the end.

+to Listening First, and ask good questions.

You cant fix a problem if you don't collect lost of information, decipher what it fact.

Curiosity
Problem solving
Reading comprehension
Mathematics
Critical thinking
Playing well with others
Courage of convictions

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

Pay attention to the details.
Know when to say you don't know.
Learn from the mistakes of others.
Try not to make mistakes.
Do not make a mistake that you have already been made aware of.

(Sorry, "try" just doesn't count for much on that last one.)

- Humility and respect to mother nature.
- "First don't harm" attitude with mother nature (corollary to the 1st one).
- Intellectually indendant as far as reasonably possible (human ressources is not your friend)
- Willingness to learn. Triumphed over his ego.
- Parcimony in drafting solutions or concepts.
- Skeptical. Initiate / Build models and test bench to test them empirically. Acknowledge cognitive limits.
- Not overconfident in science, i.e not arrogant.
- Act in accordance to his science and knowledge.
- Pursue a science which benefit and improve him first as human being (corollary to previous one)
- Can apply mathematics as tool if required.
- Hard worker (average 60 hours/week)
- Give attention to other people/peers, actively seek feedback.

- Not overconfident in science, i.e not arrogant.
- Hard worker (average 60 hours/week)

I must confess to being a teeny weeny bit arrogant and rather confident. And I am paid for 38 hours a week, so guess what, that's what I work. Sure, if something needs finishing this week, it'll get done. But don't expect me in the office next week.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

Core skills and attributes of an engineer:

- analysis: as the word's roots imply, the ability to break complex issues down logically into manageable pieces
- reason: the conscious application of logic to solve problems
- observation, i.e. generating data from the cloud of rubbish that usually surrounds an unsolved problem
- application of the scientific method
- knowledge of, and ability to apply, the underlying scientific principles specific to the discipline: at their roots, these are physics and chemistry
- dealing with uncertainty
- communication
- practicality and pragmatism: particularly, understanding when to guess, when to calculate and when to measure

Wow, I'm surprised that so far, nobody has included the main item I was taught. "Make a decision". Thats is what Engineers are paid to do. Use the math and science they learned to evaluate a situation, then make a decision on the next course of action. I see it everyday at work. Engineers who cannot make a decision are pretty much useless. Ok, I do appreciate the new Engineers who seek guidance of those more experienced, that is good. But in the end, I expect them all to make a decision and recommend a course of action to their boss. Not just ask their boss what to do.

bcd: well put. Being able to make a decision at the end of the problem solving exercise is key, and part of what I'd call being practical and pragmatic- knowing when to stop analyzing, observing etc. because you know enough to make a decision you can stand behind.

In no particular order:

- Humility (you must constantly admit how little you know)
- The ability to keep your mouth closed and listen, and to care enough to absorb information
- Dedication and Perseverance
- Grit
- Some type of passion (could be for any number of subjects)
- Common Sense
- The ability to pick out fine details but also make large scale assessments of problems (pick out what is critical!)
- Know how to handle STRESS in more ways than one. DON'T PANIC
- Know your resources and make good use of them (every engineer stands on the shoulders of everyone in their field that came before them)
- An appreciation for the old methods.
- A healthy skepticism.
- Embrace your responsibilities and obligations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back