Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What are the major duties and responsibilities of a Structural Supervisor 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimski

Structural
Oct 30, 2018
PH
I was a newly hired Civil Engineer in a company wherein I was entitled as a Structural Supervisor. I've already read a lot of articles on the internet and I can't find a distinct job description for a structural supervisor.
Does anyone have the same position as mine? What are you're duties and responsibilities?
Does anyone have an idea what are the major duties and responsibilities of a structural supervisor?
Thanks in advance for replies!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure about the title, but if it means what it says, the person in this position should be an experienced structural engineer. So as a newly hired, and I assume relatively new civil engineer, you could not be expected to have the experience to fulfill the role. Or maybe this is just an example of an inflated title, like banks call lots of junior staff "Vice President".

Thanks hokie66, your assumption is right I am a newly licensed civil engineer in our country.
I'm also new to this group and read a lot of articles, I'm really thankful I found this site.

No I was assigned as a temporary QA/QC then to Structural Supervisor. Our Company is still hiring engineer, and in general the thing they told me is to do the civil engineering work, thus what I'm doing now is from civil foreman, safety engineer, as well as project engineer. they give me task simultaneously. And now we have QA/QC, I wish this will be my final position. Maybe because I applied as a civil engineer.

Regardless of what you were hired in as, your employer should have job descriptions for other roles. Even for brand new positions and titles, HR usually requires a description be created before the title given.

Sounds like you would manage other people, potentially assigning work, and reviewing completed work. Are you responsible for stamping the drawings? That is a lot of personal liability that you need to be covered for under your employer. And if this is the case, you want to be checking everything before it goes out the door.

Are you designing or building? "Civil foreman, safety engineer, as well as project engineer" sounds like you are working for a building contractor on site. My first response assumed you were in a design office. What type project?

That really is my task. To write my duties and responsibilities on site as a structural supervisor. They were training from lecturing on office and on site everyday but do not give the exact task to do. they give simultaneous task,

structSU10, probably it was the intention of my employer to know everything before going on site. I was told to have a 360 degree view on site. But too much urgent task assigned. I guess you already experienced what I'm experiencing now. Before I take action on my work I need to see to it that it will not cause dispute to my fellow engineers on site. And it is already starting because I always take part on every assignment of my co-workers.

hokie66, we are already on implementation phase of the project. Our project is composed of condominiums and we have already structural designing team as well as architectural. I'm really on office, sometimes on site but not in design. I also check design and detailed drawings for more concrete interpretation of the designer, but I come up with this, thinking I overdid my job by doing the job of my co-workers. My real Problem.

jimski,

The term "structural engineer" is defined in all sorts of regulations. These define who can be a structural engineer and what the structural engineer is required to do.

Is there some legal system that defines "Structural Supervisor"? If the supervisor is an MBA with a non-engineering background, what would their duties be?

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back