Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What are your go-to ways and settings for creating and/or modifying 2D prints in SW? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjlasota

Mechanical
Feb 28, 2019
US
My manufacturing department generates flat patters for our laser files in a software called Bysoft. The files are sometimes generated in English, sometimes in metric. I am then able to export that data into DXF format. Because AutoCAD is no longer going to be doing floating licensees, my company has decided to rely solely on Solidworks for both 3D and 2D file manipulation and creation. Solidworks has many different settings when importing 2D data from DXFs, so I'm wondering what has worked best for everyone? Not only file creation, but over time, I may need to edit the drawings to either add or subtract dimensions. What settings do you select on the import to best work with the files in Solidworks accurately(avoid scaling issues and make the parts fit on an A size print and still be able to dimension)?

DXF_Load_rtc4l5.jpg

dwg_ezfz8y.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Recreate the 2D drawing into a 3D model in Solidworks and make it into a Solidworks drawing and get away from the other CAD system.

If you have to edit the 2D Drawing look at some free 2D CAD systems. I use NanoCAD free version. It's similar to ACAD, but it's free.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Agree. SolidWorks is terrible at making or manipulating 2D drawings out of sketch entities. It is 100% not intended for that purpose. It's like trying to drive nails by bashing them in with the handle of a cordless drill. Give NanoCAD a try.

SolidWorks has never included a license for DraftSight.

Three licenses of a program called DWGeditor used to be included with each seat of SolidWorks.

This was discontinued when Dassault bought DraftSight and (at the time) offered it for free.

Then they pulled the free rug out from under all the DraftSight users. Most underhanded move I've seen in a while.

Autodesk has them beat with forcing their entire software offering to "Named User" subscription, but I think Dassault is working that way too with the 3D Experience push.

FYI, if you need a good AutoCAD like clone that seem to outperforms AutoCAD in many areas, I have found BricsCAD to be an excellent replacement that is also very economical.

Have you checked out the Solid Edge Community site?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back