Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What bearing possibilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrowserUk

Student
Jul 14, 2022
GB
What methods are possible for "bearings" for a 120mm diameter x 50mm rim-driven, HUBLESS rotor?

Mass: ~128.5g
RPM: 2000-3000
Forces:
Radial: its own (well-balanced) mass x angular velocity.
Axial: ~500g in one direction.

Note: Besides the ludicrous costs, stuff like this is excluded because of weight.

Looking for ideas, possibilities...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here you go:
junk_ayslqp.png

The rotor is driven via the external gear teeth.

It need to be supported by some external arrangment to bear rotation and axial forces in one direction.

Ideas?

Oof. You've designed yourself into a corner here.

Thrust is easy at 500g. A relatively inexpensive thrust bearing and washer set will do that easily.

From what I can tell your real problem is that your bearing needs to not only retain this impeller-looking-thing but also provide for rotation. For this arrangement you can choose from any two of: simple, light, cheap.

What exactly is this impeller doing? Driving a device like this, from the OD of a spinning part, is not conventional for a reason.

Big difference between building one to transmit 500kW and one to transmit power on the milliwatt scale.

If this is going to be immersed in water, I'd start with lubrication-free solid state bearings (ie.. plastics) and see if that gets you close. Immersion in water basically eliminates any off-the-shelf sealed bearing in this size range.

If you're not immersed in water, can you provide lubrication?

The only way to do this cheaply will be a solid bearing of some type, which won't last for all that long. But if proof-of-concept is all you need, you don't need long life.

Why not include the inner race as part of the rotor and create your own outer race? Pack in some ball bearings; the loads for that size are very low; 6-8 mm balls will be more than enough.

A couple of ideas I've already had:
junk_sg7ggy.png

The pink balls are loose Delrin 3mm balls. Needs a cage or low-friction spacers of some kind.

The 3 'gear bearings' @ 120° have (say) 5x16x5 minature deep groove bearings top and bottom.
Two are fixed position, 1 spring loaded or adjustable. (1 drives the rotor).

The flat cylinders above and below the gearteeth are pitch circle diameter.
The teeth are half inset half proud:
junk_sliqrp.png

I didn't want to mention these ideas, because I wanted to ellicit others.

GregLocock:"How about an air bearing?"

The rotor is to be 3D printed (UV resin mLCD), which has a basic pixel size of 0.05mm. Air bearings require much finer detail.

Greg Locock:"New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies "

Did I infringe some rule?

3DDave:"Why not include the inner race as part of the rotor and create your own outer race? Pack in some ball bearings; the loads for that size are very low; 6-8 mm balls will be more than enough."
If I went for a full compliment ~66 per race, of 6mm steel balls, it would weight roughly 0.25kg, which would kill the weight allowance for batteries.

Using a sparse arrangement -- (say) 18/race -- requires a cage or spacers and its difficult to see how to make that work mechanically.

So, how fast will those be rotating?

Don't use steel or use fewer with a generous separator. There are other ball bearing materials. And it's too bad you didn't mention the weight problem earlier.

Are you trying to build a drone using this arrangement instead of normal shaft driven rotors?

All you've told us so far is that this thing will move air and has some relationship with a battery

The more detailed your problem statement, the more detailed help you're going to get

3DDave:"So, how fast will those be rotating? "

2000-3000rpm (as in OP)

3DDave:"Don't use steel or use fewer with a generous separator. There are other ball bearing materials."

I've looked at Delrin balls, which is 1/7th weight; but about 10x the price :(

Using spacers is problematic because of the extra friction.

3DDave:"And it's too bad you didn't mention the weight problem earlier. "

Sorry. I implied it with the mention that 120mm crossed-roller bearing were too heavy.

SwinnyGG:"Are you trying to build a drone using this arrangement instead of normal shaft driven rotors?"

I specifically do not want to get into the overall project. The design is coming along nicely, and isn't open to change.

If you'd like to see some stuff about a related design (not mine), then you could seek out the paper
"Aerodynamic Analysis and Design of a Rim Driven Fan for Fast Flight" [Bolam et al.]

But this bearing issue could use more consideration and a wider audience.

"How fast will THOSE be rotating?", not "How fast is THAT rotating? " THOSE, as in plural, as in the multiple small bearings.

Yes - the metal races of a metal bearing are heavy. Not saying that no weight at all is allowable is different.

Now you have a major problem with cost? Welcome to engineering.

There's not a lot of extra friction from spacers, which is why they are used. Unless you also have no remaining budget for that either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back