Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Centrifugal Pump for Fruit Juice? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CARF

Industrial
Feb 20, 2003
NL
Dear pumpexperts,

What kind of centrifugal pump do you recommend for fruit juice pumping? What are the major things to consider?

Application details:

Flow: 10 - 40 m3/hr
Concentration of fibres: 1% (fibres about 1 mm)
Temperature: 60 - 95 gradC

One of our main concerns is how to avoid blocking with fibres.

Many thanks for thinking with me,
MVD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi mvd,
the major thing is cleanabiliy of the pump. That is why you need an "open impeller"(dont know if this is the right english expression). with this solution you also have no problems with blocking. if you are still afraid, use a small filter before the pump to be shure, that the particles are this size.
in many cases the juice producers use things like aktive carbon or bentonite. these things are very abressive.
last but not least all materials must be suitable for food and the cleaning caustic.
ciao apfelsaft

Does it have to be centfrifugal? I would suggest ( at the risk of others saying you have to do further analysis)a progressive cavity pump- they should be able to handle the'fibers'& have flow rates up to 130 m3/hr- for info look at ( I use them , don't sell them) -they have pumps for the food industry that are FDA approved-just want you to consider them while you look for pumps

Hi all,

We will go for centrifugal pump because we het good results on some trials and they are cheaper. Now we want the best of this pump-type.

NB. The fluid is just like juice almost water-like.

Thanks all,
MVD

to stay on the subject of "why not a progressive pump" i would like to add that a centrifugal pump can be a pain to clean especially if there are some solids in the juice because these may stick to the casing.

In favour of e.g. progressive pumps is that they "clean themself" (not absolutely true but solids dont stick).

I dont think they are especially expensive compared to good centrifugal pumps - and they are very easy with frequency control.

I have personally good experience with Seepex (allthough this was for an oil&gas application)

Best regards

Morten

I'm not sure 1% of 1mm in length is much of a sweat for any decent centrifugal pump, enclosed, semi-open or otherwise. It all depends on the impeller geometry. And with 40-180 gpm, your typical small centrifugal pump should have enough clearance between the vanes to prevent any appreciable clogging.

Generally speaking the mechanical seal would be ok as well, since centrifugal force would tend to pull the "solids" away (if the box is open or bell housing type.
However, if your in the juice industry, you want FDA approved materials. There are plastics that are approved (Noryl for example), but most everyone will use stamped stainless.
Also, peristaltic pumps are used in the orange juice dispensers.......

Thanks all,

We will go for this pump, very nice impeller design:

Tuchenhagen - VARIFLOW Centrifugal Pumps, Series KN und TP

The pump series KN und TP have been developed in order to meet today's requirements of cleanability, gentle product handling, efficiency and easy maintenance. Six pump sizes are available with flow rates up to 140 m³/h and flow heads up to approx. 100 m w.c.

No shares ; )

Regards,
M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back