Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What consumables would you use on API5L X52? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

redandysafc

Mechanical
Dec 18, 2005
GB
The Material is API5L X52.What consumables shall I use. I think I can use PZ6500 and Murex Ferex 7016. The pipe will be getting heat treatment . Any know what temperature it will be stressrelieved at.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Interesting site, but, for this application I think you would be better consulting D1.1, because it offers information on several processes, and provides filler meta options. If you have a copy you will find this information in Sec 3 Table 3.1.

For cross country pipe lines, E6010 and E7010 electrodes have been used for decades. For ASME B31.3 pipe sytems E7016 & E7018 have also been used for decades. For GTAW and GMAW processes, ER/E70S-2,-3,-6 have been used. E70S-2 is not recommended for GMAW. For the FCAW process, E71T-1 is the standard.

I prefer to use 7018 or 8018, always with a higher yield strengh. If you are using X52 you need an electrode with 7430 psi or higher. E7018 only give 7000, I would prefer E8010 or 8018. In my opinion, rutile electrodes (E6010, E6013) for piping are not good, and less in this case (you will have lower yield strengh, only 6000 psi).Basics electrodes are better.

@weldtek

I think you have misunderstood stanweld's post.

He mentioned E6010 and E7010 for cross country pipelines, which means that the weld bead comprises of E6010 in root and E7010 for hot, filling and capping.

IMHO, the reason for using E6010 in root pass is its excellent penetration in scenerios of poor joint fit up which are frequently encountered when laying cross country pipelines. Using high strength electrodes in root bead is not recommended because it does not give that much penetration and may cause cracking in root bead when a heavy walled pipe is settled on wood supports after completion of root pass.

Regards

Owais

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back