Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What controls layers in assemblies? (NX5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

speedster29

Mechanical
Mar 25, 2008
US
I have been using NX5 for a year now and I still don't understand layer behavior in assemblies. What I mean is, a certain part feature, such as a sheet body, is put on a specific layer. But when the same part is put into an assembly, the layer of the sheet body will be changed. Why?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When you add a part to your assembly are you using Original Layer Options in the Add Component dialogue?

The layers of the components part will be honoured in the assembly.

No, since it performs whatever option you specify WHILE it is adding the Component to the Assembly. Once the Component has been loaded, it does not KNOW anything about how the option was used or even if it would have done anything different if it had been set differently. It's a one-time opportunity.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I don't know about NX5, but it appears that you can change the layer option after the fact in NX6. In the assembly navigator, right click on the component and choose 'properties'. On the 'assembly' tab you can change the 'layer option' back and forth between 'original' or 'extra crispy' - no, wait I meant 'as specified'.

You're right!!! I hadn't paid much attention to that in some time.

In all honesty I don't use layers much. I prefer a more simple binary situation, like Hide/Show. Also with the advent of sketches being automatically hidden along with other referenced objects like curves used to create surfaces and solids, sheets used as cutting/trimming tools and datum planes, the dependence on layers is becoming more limited. Now I admit this is my own personal opinion and each organization is free to use the tools they feel are best suited to your particular task.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back