Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What could have caused the damage done to concrete columns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rte4563

Mechanical
Sep 28, 2022
NO
I have a short reinforced concrete columns which support a train track as sketched below:

1_jhbzev.jpg

The upper part of column has had its concrete removed/pushed out on one side. Most logical conclusion would be its the train track which push the concrete out with horiontal forces, but in this specific location the train comes in with very low speed and just stands still. This leads me to believe this might actually be due to vertical forces? I was wondering if this could be due to horizontal forces caused by vertical force as seen below?

2_rqplcq.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Inadequate bearing capacity could be the cause, but I find it more likely that it was lateral force applied to the column, especially if the other column shows the same type of damage.

If the anchors are breaking out of the same side of 2 different columns, it's a good indication that a large lateral force was applied in that direction. I thought the other column had similar damage. I may have read more into your notes on your sketch than you intended to convey.

Whether there's damage to the other column or not, I think a failure due to vertical load is unlikely, especially if the anchors go as deep as you show them.

What is the distance of the bolts to edge of concrete? It's common for concrete to spall due to inadequate concrete cover between the bolts and edge of concrete. Where cyclical horizontal and vertical stresses will weaken concrete adjacent to the bolts. How old is the structure? the steel also might be corroding which can cause the concrete to "pop" out.

Any photos of the damage? and any drawings that show dimensions and reinforcing, including confinement reinforcing? any idea of the time of loading? How long after the concrete was cast, was the load applied?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

There is not really enough information to be sure of your problem. I suspect the detailing of the rail concrete interface may be at fault.
If a pad or a steel plate, is not inserted between the rail and the concrete, uneven contact can easily exceed the loading capacity at the contact point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back