Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What do you charge for a second site visit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoengineer

Civil/Environmental
Oct 25, 2009
US
I travel to do on site inspections for a client. Recently, the client failed to coordinate with all of the parties involved, and when I arrived on site I was denied access because the property owner was not aware of my site inspection and not prepared to provide access.

I was able to reschedule, but am wondering what, if any, should I charge for the original site visit that I was denied access. I am thinking a $100 charge would be reasonable.

They are a good client and I don't want to drive them away. But the original visit was a waste of my time that I could have used for better purposes and I think I should get compensated for the waste of my time.

Thoughts?

Cedar Bluff Engineering

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hourly rate + travel expenses I'd have thought would be your starting point.

If you choose to then give a discount because they're a 'good customer' that's another matter.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Yes, I agree with Kenat-this has happened to me. If I'm in my local area, just time spent and mileage. If I had to fly, then client pays for all down time.

My time is time...doesn't matter if I'm thinking, doing, driving or waiting....it's time. I charge my normal rate for everything, included client screw-ups.

If its not in the contract, eat it (their a good client right?) And in future contracts, you have one site visit survey, and explain additional site surveys are an additional cost.

Or even go as far as charging a flat fee of $1200 for any additional visit

knowledge is power

don't be so wimpy. if they are such a good client, they won't mind paying the extra fee and under no circumstances should you tack on a hassle factor charge.

This is a scope growth due to their mismanagement, so if you want to be a nice guy, you might bill them the full amount, but give them a 50% friends and family discount.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Hourly rate plus travelling expenses is the obvious answer, anything more and you are exploiting the situation and anything less you are offering your services and time for free.

Having said that anyone who runs a business comes across this sort of thing on a regular basis and you always have to make a judgement call.

Nothing annoys a client more than having every little extra as a paid add on, especially if it flags their mistake to someone higher up the food chain. The flip side is you can easily spend all day working for free.

As you are the only one who knows the value of the order, how the client will take an add on and the potential damage it might do to future work you are in the best position to make that call. If it really comes down to needing $100 then you have far bigger problems than this.

The friends and family type discount is what we generally do for certain clients. Some screw ups should be taken case by case. Other ones my brain wants to go numb whenever I think about them. We are dealing with all of the above in the last couple of weeks with clients we like working with and others that we will most likely not be doing business with again.

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil Engineer and Structural Engineer
| |

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back