Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What do you use CATIA for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Configurator

Sep 11, 2004
US
As my name suggests, I'm a configurator. I'm in Aerospace Advanced Design.

My Master's Degrees are in Aerodynamics and Optics, so, as one might imagine, most of my V5 usage is surfacing: I define outer and inner mold lines for aircraft skins, etc..

I also do some solids, stuff. We rough out many aircraft concepts each year, so I do a little basic structural design as well (bulkheads, stringers, etc.).

But mainly I do loft.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I work for a tier 1 automotive supplier and I use CATIA to design plastic components. As of late, most of the design work has been finished in 3d by my boss and I am working on 2d drawings. I have had tastes of both CATIA v4 and v5 as my company is in transition and have used 3d and 2d on both platforms.

I am currently in a co-op position while attending college and trying to learn as much as I can as fast as possible. Let me say that this forum is amazing for this.

What I do is look for people who have jobs that I would enjoy and pick their brain asking questions until I am blue in the face. This forum services many (37,000, i think) people who have jobs that I am interested in, and as many brains to pick. I have stumbled on to a gold mine.

Thanks for the info and keep up the good work everyone,

BT

i work for a small aerospace manufacturing company as a tool designer. i use catia v5 to make machining fixtures and occasionally a check fixture or two. it can definatly be a rewarding job, especially when there is a lot of modeling and assembly to do...

love the site and the group, look forward to reading it every day!

adam

I work for a medium-large sized Aircraft OEM. We use CATIA to design the entire aircraft, from sheetmetal, to forgings, to composites, to plastics. We have been using CATIA since 1982, and I personally have been using CATIA since 1991.

My current job is to test and evaluate new versions and applications within CATIA, develop new processes, and aid in their implementation. In other words, I get paid to play all day with new toys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[bigglasses]

I have had AL3 in the past when we were evaluating Aerospace Sheetmetal. We now have purchased some seats of it, and I have allowed my AL3 to expire. When we start to look at something else, I'll probably renew it again. Depends upon what we will be evaluating.

Hi,

As a BP, I have access to all licences AL2 / AL3...from home (VPN with the office) but I can ask for nodelock too... ;)

I do some lvl1 / lvl 2 support, methodologies, tests, special projects (videos using DMU)... on site at an aircraft engine company. We mainly do PartDesign and Drafting... I wish I can do more surfaces.

We are using V5 with W2K (switching for XP soon I hope), with Enovia Portal and VPM. Electrical, Tubing and Analysis are coming in production this year.

indocti discant et ament meminisse periti
Eric N.

What is the best way to compare two data files in Catia 4.We have an old version of a drawing and a new version and we want to find the easiest way to identify the differences.

Thanks for the help

JAP

You probably should have started a new thread about this topic, because not a lot of people are going to see this post way down here at the bottom if the topic is different then the title of the thread. Just for future reference.

In my opinion, the best way to compare two drawings to each other would be to print them both out and spread them out on a table. If you do not have two computer screens, it will be very difficult to compare two different drawing files, as the two drawing file windows could be confused fairly easily. What I do is to usually get a highlighter and color-code the mistakes. I know that this is a very 'low-tech' answer but it works.

Good Luck,
BT

I work for one of the 2 main manufacturers of Passenger Trains and Locomotives in Australia.

I have used Catia V4 for 6 years and Catia V5 for the last 2.5 years, all to design Passenger trains.

I work as a faculty for the only university here in the Philippines that have CATIA V5, De La Salle University – Manila. I am under the Manufacturing Engineering & Management Department and I am responsible for integrating and teaching CATIA V5 in this degree. CATIA V5 is currently integrated in four courses under MEM: MEMCADD (Part Design WB, Wireframe & Surface Design WB), PRODLABB (Assembly Design WB, DMU Kinematics WB), CNCLABB (Surface Machining WB) and FINELAB (GSA WB). I demand a lot from my students, especially when it comes with their projects. My only concern is whenever they ask me of what are the chances of landing a job that is CATIA related here in the Philippines? I always end up with no answer! :O

Bunny Boy
DLSU-Manila
Manila, Philippines

You got some input ? Any experience ?

I don't like tubing (or electrical routing) too much. It's one of those products developed in the US rather than in France, and, as such, it works differently that the rest of V5.

I've also heard of a lot of problems with Tubing administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back