Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does crack stress in handling a concrete pile really mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobertEIT

Structural
Aug 18, 2008
US
I checked in ACI318 and PCI Handbook, but can't find such a terminology crack stress in handling a concrete pile. Is this "crack stress" during handling a concrete pile a bogus terminology and the question asking for the "crack stress" during handling a concrete pile a bogus question?

Previously I thought it may imply allowable handling stress of a concrete pile which equals 6*sqrt(fc')+fpc with fpc=0(see <<Foundtion Design --- Principles and Practices>> by Donald P. Coduto. After a second thinking, it seems crack stress and allowable handling stress can't mean same thing. So What does this "crack stress" really mean? Does anybody know?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems like you are asking them to check for strength during their handling of the member. I don't know if I would call it "crack stress", but this is common. There are some cases where you want to be sure that it won't crack during handling - a long, slender tapered , precast colimn!! I had the pleasure of dealing with one a couple years ago. It had a kl/r of around 210. They ended up having to prestress it to keep it from cracking during handling.

I would just ask for calcs showing that the strength is ok for however they plan to rig it during erection.

Thank you StructuralEIT for your response.

Suppose in a test you were asked to answer how many psi the crack stress in handling a concrete pile is and the only information given to you is the concrete fc'. Would you think it is a bogus question?

No, I would use 7.5(f'c)^0.5. That being said, cracking is not usually an issue during handling because you expect cracking in service (typically, not always). You are typically only concerned with strength during handling - again, unless cracking is a concern for architectural reasons or for prestressed concrete.

PEinc:

It seems very few people visits the Concrete Pile Engineering forum and even less people responds to the question, therefore I posted here seeking for help.

StructuralEIT:

Yes, my first reaction is also to consider fr=7.5(f'c)^0.5 as the crack stress. But the maximum value it gives you to select is 6(f'c)^0.5, the other values given to you include
1.5(f'c)^0.5, 3(f'c)^0.5, and 4.5(f'c)^0.5. None of 7.5(f'c)^0.5 as your choice.

I am thinking could it be possible that it is asking for the permissible stress at transfer which will equal 3(f'c)^0.5? But I am still suspect where the word "crack stress comes from. Any thought?

Thanks!

It does not give any information on this either. It just ask what is the crack stress in handling a concrete pile with fc'=xxxx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back