Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does (dW/dt) =0 ( where W is the external work) indicate.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soildynamics

Civil/Environmental
Jun 16, 2007
CA
I am running ElastoPlastic analysis. With application of the load, the external work of the whole model at a specific time reaches a peack and starts to become a decreasing function of time, although the load is increasing. After that the external work becomes a decreasing function of time.
I do not understand the underlying physical cause for this outcome.
My energy equation
E(external force)= E(elastic)+ E (plastic dissipation)+E(artifical damping)
thanks for help

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Soil??
I wouldn't have said that it actually falls into a "material type" which exhibits elastic/inelastic properties.
I would almost certainly think your analysis concept is flawed. Describe your load/reaction system (i.e explain whats going on and how) and we might be able to give better guidance.

Please read my explaination and give me your physical opinion
I have total load applied on a mixture porous medium (Soil solid matrix and water), which is partially drained. Initially, when the dW/dt>0, the total load is being carried by both the solid matrix and water. However, most of that load is carried by solid matrix as the pore water pressure is being dissipated at this stage (water is leaving the sample).Later on when the sample porosity becomes small due to consolidation and with increasing the load, the water will be confined within the sample (undrained case will prodominate) and the total load will be mainly carried by water : the external work will be transfered to pore water pressure without generating any stress in the solid matrix

I think the integrated energy balance is Etotal=constant.

If the external work reaches a plateau (dW/dt=0) it means the supports of the external loads have zero displacements.

Maybe after a while, the structure becomes incompressible.

It was just a guess based on....

"...and with increasing the load, the water will be confined within the sample (undrained case will prodominate) and the total load will be mainly carried by water."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back