Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What does this mean? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Insincere

Mechanical
Feb 12, 2009
Tank with fixed cover and inside floating membrane ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ask whoever wrote it to clarify.

Sounds like they want a fixed roof and internal floating roof, though.

They said Floating membrane will be procured from abroad.This membrane will water tight and annex system for each of reservior according with the requirement API650 Annex H

Appendix H is internal floating roofs, if that helps. Sounds like a translation issue.

You've all hit it on the head.

They're talking about an internal floating roof. I've heard some overseas companies referring to the floating roof deck as a "membrane". Whether internal or external, they're referring to the roof plates them selfes as a whole. Not the pontoon deck. the "annex system for each of reservior" i would assume would be the pontoons. not exactly sure what the "annex system" is though.

Sounds like the internal floating roof is going to be made off-site (abroad) and installed in your tank.

Google "tank roof membrane" and you'll see some tank companies referring to floating roof decks as membranes.

It's definitly going to be a tank with a fixed roof (either steel cone, umbrella or dome or an aluminum dome) and an internal floating roof (either aluminum or steel, either full-contact or non-contact). For more specifics (seal(s), etc) you will need the applicable governmental, local and industry rules and someone who can interpret them for you.

What could be the reason of using internal floating roof?

The internal floating roof will reduce the evaporation losses from the liquid surface and help keep impurities out of the liquid.

Insincere ( it sounds a bit dodgy...),
The mentioned benzine is in fact gasoline and the storage of this product is subject of major local and international regulations. The design, fabrication, testing and operating of such facility is restricted to personnel and businesses familiar with those Codes, standards and local regulations. From the reading of your other similar posts, I imagine that you are am ambitious person, hell bent to learn overnight the secret of pressure vessel design, tank design and the purchasing of internal floating roof for a storage tank, if possible to squeeze in also, some tank farm operating procedures in one go...
I hope to not disappoint you, but it will take a little longer and take IFRs advice because is very sound. However, if you really intend to start somewhere learning this trade, ask many question in this forum, don't be shy. You'll learn a lot...
Cheers,
gr2vessels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back