Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What exactly is a puddle flange?

Status
Not open for further replies.

philbob

Chemical
Nov 15, 2001
IE
I am examining an application where a pipe running through an underground pit has a puddle flange joining the pipes within the pit wall. My understanding is that the puddle flange will prevent the passage of liquid from one side of the wall to the other (external to the pipe). However a colleague of mine has suggested that depending on the welding of parts of the flange, it's purpose is to prevent wall cracking in the event of pipe movement. I'd appreciate if somebody could give me a definition, or tell me if a puddle flange serves more than one purpose.

Thanks in advance

Philbob

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You are correct. The puddle flanges are used to prevent passage of liquid(for ex. RCC sumps of cooling tower etc)

I feel the puddle flanges will add to wall cracking in case of pipe movement.

Regards,

Tyler Pipe calls this a "seep ring". They also make a "Wall Sleeve" with cast on seep ring. The purpose being to keep water from migrating through the wall around the pipe. Rings like that may also be used to furnish joint restraint for the pipe spool.

Check out a product called "Linkseal" for another way of sealing the joint.

The puddle flange needs more than just the ring welded or epoxied to the pipe to prevent water seepage. Use is made of a water swelling tape. In Australia we use Hydrotite. I am sure that other products are available.

Care must be taken as the tape can swell and burst the concrete locally. ie the concrete has to be sufficiently thick.

Concrete does shrink away from the stainless steel or ductile iron puddle flange. The puddle flange must be able to withstand the sustained and occassional loads applied to the flange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back