Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What Gives? - Round Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundevil98

Mechanical
Apr 5, 2001
US
I'm trying to put a round into my model. Ultimately, I'd like to have a variable round.

Here's what's weird though...

If I put in a constant round on this edge with a radius of 16, the round goes in just fine. When I try to turn the round into a variable round - and if I select just the beginning point and the end point of the edge for the radius references, and enter 16 at both - the round fails! (I found this out while trying various solutions to my problem).

What gives? Does Pro/E handle variable rounds differently? Why would my "variable" round fail - even when it's the same as a constant round???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sundevil98,

Please post more information. Have you read the FAQ Before you ask for help (faq554-848)?

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"I don't grow up. In me is the small child of my early days" -- M.C. Escher

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

Advance variable rounds are set up for transistions diff. It is not uncommon to have variable fail with matching ends. Add another radii in the middle and it seemed to work.

What version are you running?

I'm running 2001.

I checked the forum (as always) before posting, but didn't find any answers. PTC knowledge base is a mess trying to sort through sometimes. Just thought I could get a quick answer here. Guess I'll refrain from posting in the future unless it's a last resort!

What I'm doing is trying to recreate a CATIA V4 model in Pro/E. I have two surfaces extruded from the exact CATIA curves (imported via IGES). When I try to match the rounds as they were created in CATIA, it fails and I don't really understand why. When I preview the round creation, it looks fine. However, when I press "OK" to create the feature, it fails.

I've worked around it somewhat - but it still is not the same - (it's close enough for now).

You can see in this picture how I have the radii set up:

The R15 and R15.9 values should be R16. If I change the R15 values to anything larger than 15, the feature fails.

As I said in my first post, if the only reference points I have are the beginning and end of the edge, and if I set those vaules to R16, the feature will not create. But, if I create the round as a "simple, constant" round of R16, the feature creates just fine.

It seems to me that the feature should not have any problems before and after the R25 values as it should be a constant round with a radius of 16.

Here's a link to the model if anyone wants to investigate for themselves:

(the round on the other side should be constant R16).

The only reason why it's important for me to keep the model the same as the original CATIA model is because we have already done some analysis (CFD) work on the model and we need to keep it as close as possible.

sundevil98,

My post pointing you to the FAQ was to get you to post the version number. There is no need to treat this forum as a last resort, just be more complete in your questions.

Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
"I don't grow up. In me is the small child of my early days" -- M.C. Escher

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

sundevil98,

Did you try to change the accuracy for the Pro/E model from .0012 (default) to .0001?

Sometime this could help creating rounds.

-Hora

Sundevil98,

I got the round to work in Wildfire with no problem. I don't have 2001 loaded to try in in there.

If you can suppy andemail to me I will send you the file.

Brian

I haven't had too much time to look at the model specifically. But I have run into troubles with rounds in the past and hopefully my shared experiences may help with this or other situations you may run into.

You might want to try to make the round as a surface-to-surface round. I've found that Pro/E calculates these differently in some cases, especially when calculating varying radii. In instances (again, I haven't looked at your model in too much detail) where the edge to be rounded has breaks in its tangency, the surface to surface round option deals with this better.

Hope it helps!

Happy Canada Day! (& 4th of July!)
[cheers]
Mark

So, this has turned into a very strange problem.

I belive I am having trouble with the accuracy.

I have looked at the model that Moroso created. He has it set up exactly as I need it. (Thanks Moroso).

However, I still have problems on my end.

I can open Moroso's file just fine. However, when I go to redefine the variable round, it will not regenerate - even if I make no changes to the round (i.e. select "OK" after selecting "redefine").

I've added the option "enable_absolute_accuracy" and have set the value to "yes". However, I'm not sure what else to do from there. I don't quite understand the difference between absolute and relative accuracy (I plan on investigating later).

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Now that I know it's possible to get the design as I want it, I'd like to know how to get my computer set up to do what I want it to do.

If anyone wants to see Moroso's file it's here:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back