Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What happened for formulas in expressions in NX 9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MASawtell

Computer
Aug 31, 2010
US
Before I came over to NX 9, I was able to type in a forumla for an expression (say in a sketch), and NX would retain the formula (similar to what I find in MS Excel or Lotus) so I could tweak it later if need be. Now in NX 9, I type in the formula, and the expression appears to only retain the answer and not the formula it was derived from. Am I missing a setting in Customer Defaults to retain formulas, or is this a 'new feature' in NX that needs to be contended with?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you type in a formula in a dimension in a sketch and then return to the screech and attempt to edit the value it shows up as a grey box with the value set but not editable. In order to edit the expression click the small "=" button to the right of the value. This will bring up the expression editor with that expression editable.

We discussed this exact issue a few days ago (see the thread below). What's really surprising me is this feeling that shome how this behavior only started with NX 9.0. If you read the thread below you'll see that NX has been handling 'formulas' in this manner since NX 6.0, which was released over 6 years ago.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back