What Happened To SolidWorks In Version 2016? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorsionalStress

Mechanical
May 23, 2005
CA
Using SOLIDWORKS 2016 SP1.0;

Lots of features that worked well in previous versions don't work well or don't work at all in version 2016.
Other users having the same issues or is it my imagination?

Any response will be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First off, I would suggest going to a higher service pack! SP4 is already out.

As long as features are concerned I did not come across one that doesn't work anymore. On my part it's more about the new features that need a little tweaking. Unfortunately SolidWorks seems to rush the new features in and wait for the users to test them so it takes a couples of SP's before they get it right (If they ever...;)

If you can give me a couple of examples maybe I can test it and see if I have the same problem.

One thing I noticed though is that SolidWorks seems slower in general. I can't know for sure if it's because of 2016 or if it's Window 10 (I upgraded to Win 10 at the same time as I installed SW 2016) But I clearly saw a drop in performance.

Patrick

Its probably SW that slowed down, because I upgraded to windows 10 and I am still using 2015 and SW seems a little faster, however large assemblies are still slow. I am hoping 2016 was going to make this easier, but it sounds like its not. sigh...

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Working and doing some tests with the software, there would be too many issues to list. Problems are occurring in several areas. Really noticing a difference & I'm reaching an unable to work situation.

Generalized complaint against latest version of software and not open to listing anything specific. It sounds like you are a salesman for another CAD software looking for possible flaws to use when trying to sell your particular brand of software.

TorsionalStress said:
jgKRI, this post is to get a generalized idea on overall performance and see if other users have come across similar issues, not specifics.

No one can tell you if their issues with SW 2016 are 'similar' to yours unless you tell them what your issues are.

I use SW approximately 40 hours a week, and have zero complaints about '16.

I went on a job interview yesterday and they also wanted me to do a quick solidworks test. No biggie. Ive worked with SW for 9 years up to version 2015. Well, the colors were totally different and some of the icons changed. Nothing too dramatic, but just enough to be an irritation. I was cruising along and all of the sudden my dims would not change. Click the dim and change the value and nothing. Well, this cost me 20 minutes of draw time. I assumed it was a bug and started over. I looked it up last night and there is an instant2d button on the main page that seems to have no use. I guess I hit this an toggled it on. Solidworks colors have looked the same forever, and my luck is that they change it when I need to be at my best and I want to make every minute count. It was also buggy when trying to mirror features and some issues related to constraints seemed buggy. I was rather pissed. I don't like the new colors where there is no contrast. Colors help for memory and quick reaction. I personally think this is unnecessary and cannot imagine users asking for this. I did like the move/copy button on the ribbon. I did fine on the test. The Eng manager said that he had a couple of engineers come in and couldn't do anything at all. They drew a couple of lines and that was it. I fully understand the testing. The very tricky little part went fine. I would have finished 20 minutes earlier if not for the damn instant2d feature. That is all

edit..I see that they brought back the color option. I think the company had SP1 installed.

There is no situation so bad that you cant make it worse. Cmdr_Hadfield

Usually when you cannot change a Dim your Auto solve might have turned off. I have seen some situations where that option is off and i Have to reset it every time I make a change. I don't know why that happens.

As for the colors I am glad they brought some of them back and they adjusted the contrast to be darker.

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
Gryphon Environmental
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back