Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What interview questions are actually useful? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rothamer

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2005
US
Just a year after the completion of my 2-1/2 year horrendous job search, I find myself in the position of interviewing others for the position I started in. I've never interviewed people before, and although I know what I don't like about interview questions, I'm having a hard time coming up with appropriate questions. My collegues are taking care of the technical/background questions, and I'm to focus more on personality and fit for the company and the job. (And I'm significantly younger than many of the interviewees, to make things more interesting.) Any suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here are a couple of tips...

1. before the interview, leave random parts on the table where the interviewee will be sitting. See if they play with the random parts... it shows curiosity.

2. Ask questions that show the ability to change gears quickly... ie...

draw 3 cirlce (like a gear train), ask with a drivesource in gear one what will happen to gear 3, then immedately follow up with something like how do you feel about the small group of people that still think the world is flat...

Followed by, what is your favorite show on television... if its drama, they are middle of the road... serious with a hint of personality... if it's a sitcom, well chances are they are bringing it with the personality, but don't have the chops to back it up... if it's a science channel doccumentary, then well, no personality, all skill... If it's a show that you know comes on friday nights only, then safe to say, they have no personality...

but wait... How did you know that show was on Friday night again?

----

Good luck

Wes C.
------------------------------
When they broke open molecules, they found they were only stuffed with atoms. But when they broke open atoms, they found them stuffed with explosions...

Don't stress about the age thing.

Some questions I use:

1) Tell me about conflicts you've had with coworkers, lab partners, study groups, etc?
2) Pet peeves
3) What are you weaknesses
4) In which classes did you perform the worst? why?
5) What sets you apart from your classmates?
6) What's the decimal equivalent of 7/16?
7) Did you generally study alone or in a group? Why?
8) Tell me about your biggest failure or flop?
9) You ever consider joining the military? Why/not?
10) You play any sports? team or individual? why?
11) Were you a boy scout? How long? How far?
12) Most interesting historical figure? Why?
13) What ticks you off?
14) How do you respond to criticism?

I warn about canned answers vs. candid answers and listen for them. I'm looking for somebody who's genuine, knows what they think, is comfortable expressing themselves, can discuss things besides engineering...

--------------------
Bring back the HP-15
--------------------

I don't believe that asking loaded questions is of any benefit to either prospective employer or employee. If I was the interviewee and I wanted to see how I fit in to an organization, I would ask questions like:

a) Do you require formal attire or casual?
b) Does the company have any social fuctions and am I required to attend?
c) What is the male/female balance?
d) Can I take time off on short notice or do you require advance notice?
e) How does the company handle conflicting project schedules?
f) How does the company handle heavy workload?
g) Will I report to a single manager or will I rotate around the office?
h) Will I receive any mentoring?
i) Can I take a leave of absence if family health issues come up?
j) What type of office layout & furniture do you have? (Nice or shabby?)
k) What kind of computers & software do you have? (Up to date or obsolescent?)

There are probably a whole lot of other things that I as a prosepective employee would try to take into account in order to see if I wanted to work somewhere. I suggest that any interviewer try to take these into account if you intend to encourage someone to come aboard onto your organization.

I did a bunch of interviews over the years, and I can't remember a single question that I asked. They were all randomly generated crap. The things I remember are some really good questions from the interviewee like "what the hell are you talking about?" (I hired her) and "how can that possibly be relevant?" (I didn't hire him). I looked for people that weren't intimidated by me (I always dressed in Brooks Brothers and conducted the interview in really sterile surroundings) and could build coherent answers to off-the-wall questions. I can't remember anyone that I later regretted hiring.

David

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

The harder I work, the luckier I seem

Ask for specific examples of past experience showing traits that are desirable for the position..If being able to work under pressure is important, ask about a time he/she had to perform under pressure (short deadline, whatever). Make sure they give specific examples, not what he would do hypothetically.
Also, make sure your let the interviewee sell themselves to you, not you spouting off how great a place it is to work. I used to always end up talking more than I should have!

Now I know why I don't do well on interviews- I never watch television, I don't care about sports, I couldn't add 2+2 in my head with someone glaring at me, and where I picture myself in 5 years is hopefully still alive and maybe retired.

If you are looking for good personal fit treat them as a potential friend, ask about things that interest them, sports, outside activities, why they became engineers in the first place.

Make up some hypothetical situations (or base it on some real workplace situations) ask them how they would react in any of the roles or how they would expect some position in the scenario to react.

Rick Kitson MBA P.Eng

Construction Project Management
From conception to completion

3) What are you weaknesses
4) In which classes did you perform the worst? why?
8) Tell me about your biggest failure or flop?

That type of question will/should get a canned response, we've discussed what we thought of those questions in the past (sorry, too lazy to look up the thread). Basically you penalise the honest guy.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

thread731-101460 for the weaknesses thing

also if the original poster would do us the courtesy of searching this forum, there have been several threads on interviews.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Rothamer,
You wrote you focus on personality and fit for the company/job.
Dumb question: have you defined exactly what personality you are looking for and what makes a person fit for the company and the job?
Once the objectives have been defined, it's easier to come up with questions. Don't use questions from the textbook with precooked Dr Phil-ish character traits related to every possible answer. (Like, "If it's a show that you know comes on friday nights only, then safe to say, they have no personality" - WesC, how's that for jumping to conclusions?). Instead, invent your own questions based on your own sound logic.
Like, if you're looking for somebody who is able to manage himself without support from others, you'd simply ask for a real-life example of such a situation and see if what he comes up with sounds like some made up thing or just one good example of many in a row.
Even though it can be a lot of fun to destabilise somebody by not offering him a chair, it allows you only to draw some conclusions about assertiveness, but there's a major risk of starting off on the wrong foot if you'd become the person's boss.
If still in doubt, you may want to look for an interviewing training (for interviewers of course).

This is usually the sort of interview that's carried out by someone from HR. They are often a fairly good judge of character, and that's more of what you seem to be looking for. I guess that your employers value your opinion enough to ask for it, and that's a real positive you can take.
Personally, I'd just have a general chat and try to avoid cliched and hypothetical questions. As suggested above, probing their actual experience is far more insightful than asking a hypothetical question. It might be a bit about selling the job to them as well. I've had enough job interviews where the interviewer has been so hostile that I wouldn't want the job if offered it, as I wouldn't want to work in an environment that tolerated such a *@&$ !

As for fit, as suggested above, you need to know what the requirements are beforehand. Then you can decide if they will fit or not. This can be quite simple. For example, if required to work on the shop floor, they will need to be able to relate and work well with people on the shop floor. If they are working in a research environment, then interpersonal skills may be less important, but the ability to communicate complex ideas may be key.

Greg, I challenge your assertion.

I have asked those questions and received what seem to be honest replies (based on the squirming and hedging that preceded the answer).

Even the pre-crafted answer can be revealing. So, too, can be the smart-a** reply. Personally, I do not penalize the honest. Honesty is precisely what I'm looking for in their answer.

I suppose that's the reason we interview with several people -- you ask your questions and form your impressions. The rest of us do the same. Hopefully, when we're making a joint decision, our collective wisdom will be more sound than any one individual's.

--------------------
Bring back the HP-15
--------------------

Good advice from epoisses. Do your research and go for a method that works for you.

A friend of mine who works in recruitment says that the standard 'Tell me your strengths/weaknesses etc' is all part of the game and they are more looking at how you handle it than than the actual answer. Wether your body language says 'I think this is a dumb question' while you give a prepared answer, or if you genuinely search for an uncomfortable but truthful answer, each attests to your personality type and you are judged accordingly.

For the record, my reaction is closer to the 'I think this is a dumb question' side of things, and I would never use it.

LewTam Inc.
Petrophysicist, Leading Hand, Natural Horseman, Prickle Farmer, Crack Shot, Venerable Yogi.

finish the interview, show them around the office, introduce them to people, go for coffee with them, and just chat.

get them to relax, in a formal interview setting you'll get the "perfect personality"
You'll still get the on show aspect if you go for coffee but they'll be a bit less on edge.

Asking about the military is awfully close to asking them about their politics, and bordering on illegal or at least dodgy. Don't do it. If they offer military experience as part of their resume, then it's fair game.

Hg

Eng-Tips policies: faq731-376

What about this...

HI.

I am (Insert name.) Welcome to XYZ company.

(Insert formalities here)
Would you care for anything to drink? ie: coffee, water, juice

Could you tell me a little about yourself?

Follow up with additional questions that result from the information gathered off this question and continue with any formal questions that are required to be asked.

Most people will give you all the information you need if you just let them talk.

Rothamer,

You indicate that the position that you have been interviewing candidates for is one that you had formerly held. That being the case, you should be familiar with the types of personal interactions that the job entails and the type of personality that can be successful doing the job (you apparently were). While you are not looking for a identical personality to your own, you want to find someone who can work with and gain the respect of the people that they will have to continually interact with. This can help form the basis for how you "socially" interview the candidate.

Regards,

Wow,

There are a lot of answers, and methods, and preferences, and results and such. I am sure that the methods and preferencdes and even questions that each respondent has suggested above have and does work for each of them.

The question is, will it work for you?

If you are trying to find someone who will "fit in" with your company, isn't it sort of like trying to decide if someone will fit in with your existing group of friend/company? If you think the analogy is true, then treat the interviewee as a potential friend, and do the things you normally do to determine if you want to be their friend.

There are no sure fire, 100% correct, do this and you will hire the perfect candidate solution - if there was, then everyone would be doing the same thing, and every company will hire exactly the right person, and we would be learning this from a text book.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back