Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

What is 6 - 1 x 0 + 2 / 2 ? 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

charliealphabravo

Structural
May 7, 2003
US
OK, so my architect boss is trying to stump me with this one. He says he saw it on some discussion group that was saying that engineers are poor in math because they answer 7. That was my answer as well, and since I am an engineer I must ergo be bad at math.

I am pretty sure there is no planet where the answer to this is 5, but what do I know?

Discuss.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cowski,

In this expression, the - is not unary. If it were unary, the expression would be meaningless due to lack of an operator between the 6 and the -1.

Neither of your scenarios is correct. Just because the second yields the correct answer in this case doesn't make it less wrong.

1*0=0. -1*0=0. Zero is different from nothing. You can't just take it out and make it disappear. You have to keep the zero in there. The subtraction operator then acts on the zero.

6-1*0+2/2 becomes 6-0+2/2

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Stevenal and handleman have the right interpretation of PEMDAS.

P = Parentheses
E = Exponent
MD = Multiply or divide
AS = Add or subtract

Mathematicians who set the standard to begin with follow this.

Good on ya,

Goober Dave

Haven't see the forum policies? Do so now: Forum Policies

This is no other interpretation to be had. EVERY textbook follows these rules; if you've passed 5th grade, you learned these rules.

If you haven't passed 5th grade, you have no business arguing about this.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Very interesting thread since it's a sign of the time.
When I was young anyone more than 5 years old knew the right answer: 7!
Maybe the only exception were the architects...
Now we have computers!!!

Computers are programmed by people; Nonetheless, Mathcad, Excel, TI nSpire, Casio fx-115ES, Wolfram Alpha all give the same answer, 7

I don't get why this is even an issue of any sort.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

That depends greatly on where that 5th grader is from. I recall that when I was in school, transfer students from Hong Kong were about 2 years ahead of us in math, i.e., they had finished algebra by 7th grade, when we were just getting started.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

One possible interpretation of the problem is in the usage of 1x0 rather than 1*0, which is the keyboard convention in the US.

If the "0" is actually a letter "o", then it might represent 1 in octal representation, resulting in 6-1+2/2 = 6.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Irstuff,

The parenthesis were not added arbitrarily, I added them to show operation order; both incorrectly and then correctly. The wrong way performs addition prior to subtraction as advocated by many on the Facebook forum and evidently by at least one architect.

All,
I think most ( but not all; see Facebook)everyone can agree the expression simplifies to 6-0+1. Left to right works. 6+(-0)+1 works. Addition prior to subtraction as in 6-(0+1) does not.

Since when are Facebook entries even remotely relevant? Input from people who can't remember how to do math is not worth dissecting.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

IRstuff,
"I don't get why this is even an issue of any sort. "
Don't worry. It's only an issue to those that don't get 7.

All the rest of us have better things to do than argue about this. I'm moving on. I suggest you and the rest of us 7's do too.

"People will work for you with blood and sweat and tears if they work for what they believe in......" - Simon Sinek

I added the link as a likely answer to Cowski's question 21 Aug 12 15:02.
In this thread the question began with an architect who can't remember math. Entirely relevant to the topic at hand.

Nicely put, IRstuff.
I would expect nothing better from Facebook.
But I find it hugely depressing that such a "controversy" can run on a site supposedly for numerate professionals.

BTW. My post above was not aimed at Stevenal, but at the general notion that Facebook might have anything useful to say about anything. Reading that Facebook page gave me my first smile for this entire thread, even if it was a slightly perverted & convoluted smile.

OK, I couldn't see the Facebook page at work, and my worst fears were confirmed, it's another version of Yahoo!Answers, which is nearly worthless

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back