Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

What is a Cad/Cam program...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoja

Materials
Jan 11, 2004
US
What is Cad/Cam...what is it used for...I'm not exactly sure on the definition of this. I currently work in the engineering department for a manufacturing company. I work with AutoCad2004, StoneCam (the software that comes with the MasterStone CNC Machine) and WoodWop 4.5 (software that comes with the Weeke CNC Machine)...are these consider to be Cad/Cam softwares or programs?? Please advice, thank you

Rod

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thank you....so does this mean that AutoCad falls under the Cad/Cam program since it can be used to program or at least create the dxf file you need in order to send to the machine?

AutoCad is indeed a CAD program. I am unfamiliar with it's properties with regard to machining, but if you can use the files it creates to program the machining operations, then it would also qualify it as a CAM program.

AutoCAD is a CAD program, since it is primarily involved with design of objects.

Your other two programs associated with CNC are CAM, since they are involved with manufacturing of objects.

Presumably, you feed DXF files or something similar from Autocad to your two CNC applications, which take the design data from Autocad and convert it to machining instructions for the CNC machine.

TTFN

Thank you for your replies, this makes everything clear now....does anyone know of any good optimizing software...I have heard of one, which is patternsystems.com, Cut Planner more precise, but I'm looking for a program that can optimize stone (granite) rather than a rectagular sheet of wood. Any suggestions or websites please advice, thank you.

Rod

What would be nice is if AutoCad could do something called 'post' the program to CNC. This would generally be done with ISO G codes, but it still needs to be customized to the machine because every machine does use slightly non standard G codes in different sequences. AutoDesk,the makers of AutoCad, tried to do this. I think it was in 1996. However, their market loyal customers use it as a computer aided drafting software platform (CAd) and don't know much about CAM. The software product was withdrawn for lack of support. A tech school in Green Bay used it to teach mechanical design for a while thinking if the product flew, their graduates would do well. Still a good idea, it's not as easy even for a good company like AutoDesk to make software happen. Everyone thinks you just jam in code and everything works. Anyway, if anybody knows of any software that can post an autocad file directly, write back to this thread. I know it can be done with IGES files, but autoCad lite and certain versions don't seem to be able to write even an IGES file - they could, but again the customer base for AutoDesk is just not pulling their weight in manufacturing software. Best bet - 3rd party add-ins for AutoCad. There are hundreds of software companies interested in that aftermarket. This is the place to share a critique.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back